Sanitation question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capcrnch

Reaction score
This may seem idiotic to some, but its honestly meant as a valid question!

When sanitizing equipment, how long is that sanitizing "good for"?
I guess my question is more along the lines of how safe am I?

While brewing last night, I sanitized, then set the items to the side while I cooled my wort and then poured it into my fermenting bucket.
Lets say those items sat for 15? minutes or so.. Is that cool or am I playing with danger?

Thanks all!

I think you should be okay...I typically do the same thing. What I do first is take a paper towel and dip it in the sanitizer and wipe the counter down with it. Next, I lay out a few more paper towels and move everything out of the sanitizer and place it, still wet on the paper towels. This way they sit there with the sanitizer still on them in a sense. Unless you end up with a bad batch, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I'm sure others might have other things to say, just my .02 cents.

Once the sanitizer drips off and dries from the surface, the timer starts ticking and no one really knows how long it lasts. It depends on how many undesireables you have floating around in your environment. You can cover things with clean plastic wrap if it's going to sit for 30 minutes or more. Small items like thermometers and spoons should be left sitting in a bowl of sanitizer during your brew session.

Bobby_M said:
Once the sanitizer drips off and dries from the surface, the timer starts ticking and no one really knows how long it lasts. It depends on how many undesireables you have floating around in your environment. You can cover things with clean plastic wrap if it's going to sit for 30 minutes or more. Small items like thermometers and spoons should be left sitting in a bowl of sanitizer during your brew session.
I kind of have to agree with you and admit that that is the reason why I use my equipment while it's still wet. ;)

If you are talking about items such as spoons, thermometers or temp. probe ect I think it's a good idea to rinse them off and then put them into a container filled with sanitizer. Now if you are talking about your bucket, I'd cover it with the sanitized lid or keep it upside down on a sanitary surface. With carboys you could cover it with a piece of aluminum foil. Then you really don't have to concern yourself about the time.

Back