Sanitation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neckbone

Reaction score
I am waiting for my second kit to come in the mail and have a few questions. I was laying in bed the other night and woke up in the middle of the night thinking about my next batch. Couldn't go back to sleep for an hour or two.

When the primary is finished fermenting, you transfer it to a secondary, or bottle it. I'm using the two bucket kit w/ a spigot to do the transfer. How do you sanitize the spigot before transfer?? I didn't even think about it when I transferred to my priming bucket in my first batch, and it turned out pretty good. However, I'm sure that needs to be sanitized too.

I never transferred with the spigot. I used a racking cane so I didn't pick up yeast sediment off the bottom of the bucket. If you do want to use it though, I'd mix up an idophor solution in a spray bottle and spray it, then let air dry.

neckbone said:
I am waiting for my second kit to come in the mail and have a few questions. I was laying in bed the other night and woke up in the middle of the night thinking about my next batch. Couldn't go back to sleep for an hour or two.

When the primary is finished fermenting, you transfer it to a secondary, or bottle it. I'm using the two bucket kit w/ a spigot to do the transfer. How do you sanitize the spigot before transfer?? I didn't even think about it when I transferred to my priming bucket in my first batch, and it turned out pretty good. However, I'm sure that needs to be sanitized too.

What I do, in the rare instance of bottling, or secondary for that matter, is fill the bottling bucket with iodophor and let it sit for quite a while. Then I drain the solution through the valve. When empty, I put a small zip lock bag over it with a rubber band until I need it. Fill the bucket with your beer, remove the bag and hook up the hose and wand... Bottle away!

icon2.jpg

Just drain the solution through the spigot and any other tubing you need. When I bottle, I fill a bowl full of sanitizer for bottle caps, and anythig else that might need sanitizing in a moments notice. If you dry hop a batch, the spring on the bottle filler can get clogged with hop material, so I sanitize it again after I clean it out. I fill my bottling bucket with the solution, then fill the bowl, then rack the remainder of the solution into an empty carboy for reusing.

On the inside of this bucket, the spigot has a downward turn so that no sediment is transferred. It worked really well last time I used it. I like the ziplock bag idea. I think that's what I'm going to do this time.

I show the ziplock trick in my bottling video but I also like to take the spigot out of the bucket and soak in a bowl of sanitizer first. After I reinstall it, fill the bucket with a gallon or two of sanitizer and shake the heck out of the bucket a few times (with the lid on obviously). I then drain a bit out of the spigot, dump out the solution and put the baggie over the outside of the spigot.

Back