Sanitation of dry yeast packaged individually from bulk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelbBrew

Reaction score
Picked up some dry yeast today from A lhbs that I don’t normally shop at. It seems they break down bulk packs into individual vac sealed packets (website info in photo).

Has anyone had any experience with these oversized sachets (be it US-05 or S-04)? I guess my concern is sanitation / possible contamination when they’re packaging in house from a bulk unit
IMG_1316.JPG
to individualised sachets.

Am I just being overly sensitive ?

I've used repackaged wine yeast a couple times. It worked fine.

It's probably OK.

Keep in mind your brew will be exposed to wild microbes from the air and possibly from your equipment while you're chilling, transferring, and packaging the wort and beer.

Cheers

Morgan's (Australia) does exactly this. 15g rebranded packets of Fermentis dry yeasts. Much cheaper than the "originals". I've used them many times and haven't had a problem, FWIW.

Morgan's (Australia) does exactly this. 15g rebranded packets of Fermentis dry yeasts. Much cheaper than the "originals". I've used them many times and haven't had a problem, FWIW.

Thanks mate. That’s good assurance. I’m the first to admit I’m a bit overly sensitive when it comes to brewing. Don’t want a tiny variable making all of the labour for nought

Back