sanitation method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosebag

Reaction score
In using my "thief" to get a gravity sample I always worry about sanitation. instead of using a 5 gallon bucket to use my star-san (which is wasted just for a gravity reading) I was wondering if anyone had a recommended quick and easy santizing method for this. can I spray it from a spraybottle?

Why is your bucket "wasted" for a gravity reading? I just dunk my clean thief in a bucket of star san, it's not wasting anything. A spray bottle is fine, but then you will be wasting it.

For quick sanitizing jobs, I have a 1 gallon bucket of StarSan. 1 gallon of StarSan can be made with 1 and 1/4 tsp (~1/5 of an ounce) of StarSan and distilled water.

You can get a bucket for free from a supermarket bakery or donut shop. Just ask them if they have any leftover frosting buckets they plan on throwing away. It's foodsafe, and I have yet to see my StarSan go cloudy in it.

I read on here that a Wall Paper Tray worked, so I bought one. 2 bucks. It wasn't long enough though.

I ended up stealing a rectangle plastic planter from the SWMBO which was almost 3 feet long and about 5 inches wide and deep. It works great for my theif auto siphon and hose.

I just dump some sani solution from my bucket into it, toss in the things that need sani and dump the solution back into the bucket when done.

They are pretty cheap at HD.

get one of those pressurized sprayers (that you'd use on your lawn) a small one runs $10, and you can put a gallon of distilled water in with star-san and have a solution that'll last months and months (my tap water is hard and alkaline so my solution doesn't last nearly as long as some of you).

pump a few times and spray to your hearts content.

Back