sanitation/cleaning questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering, how often do you guys clean your fittings, manifold/diptube, spigots, thermometers, sightglass? I know they don't have to be sanitized (with the possible exception of the BK spigot) but do they need to be cleaned often?

On that note, is it even necessary to sanitize the BK spigot? If, for the last few minutes of the boil, I drained the boiling wort into a measuring cup (carefully!) and poured it back in, wouldn't this sanitize both the tubing and the spigot? That would be pretty convenient, leaving just the fermentation buket, lid, airlock, and starter jar/lid.

Just a thought, I'm interested to see what you guys tend to do!

Cheers,
Jay

Sanitize and clean anything that touches cooled wort...anything on the hot side of the process, no worries within reason of course:mug::mug:

By that logic, wouldn't you never have to clean your HLT and MLT?:confused:

I've heard that bad things can happen when sugary wort gets trapped in the threads of weldless fittings and isn't cleaned for a while, but maybe thats just if sucessive brewdays are far apart?

and I hateee sanitizing tubing, especially when its 5' long like mine. That's why I brought up the idea of passing the boiling wort through it so it would be one less thing to have to sterilize (and the barb on the spigot).

By that logic, wouldn't you never have to clean your HLT and MLT?:confused:

I did mention, "within reason, of course". Here is a picture of Denny's mash tun for reference, and it has been said that his beer is quite tasty:)
http://hbd.org/clubs/cascade/public_html/dennybrew/braid.jpg

I guess you should clean and sanitize the hot side equipment to your comfort level. I usually give the MT and Kettle a good rinse and wash off any solids. Do realize that the mash itself is loaded w/ "bugs", and that is what the boil is for. A kettle valve likely gets hot enough during the boil to be sanitary, running hot wort through it and perhaps a bit of star san spray are probably a good idea. Point I was trying to make is that the boil sanitizes the hot side, the brewer sanitizes the cold side. The HLT really never gets dirty, and the MT is "dirty" or unsanitary just by the contents of the mash.

Back