Sanitation and cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STUNTx2

Reaction score
I am going to be attempting my first cider tomorrow, a was wondering a few things about sanitizing equipment for the process. I was planing on heating my cider in my brew pot to get the brown sugar to disolve a little quicker and easier. Since the cider will not reach a full boil does that mean I have to sanitize everything that comes in contact with it, including the pot? If so does that make heating it more trouble than its worth?

Thanks for your help.

Cider is pretty hard to mess up but sanitation or lack thereof is one way to to do it. So yes, you do want to sanitize everything your cider is going to touch.
No, you do not have to sanitize the cooking pot.
Personally, I would not heat the cider. I would add a little water to a pot and boil the brown sugar in it.

As Nurmey suggests, don't heat your cider. You really don't want to do that (the flavor can change in a negative way), Nurmey's suggestion is exactly how I would proceed as well. Just sanitize the fermentor.

Thanks for the help. My cider will not get heated, everything else will still get sanitized. Now all I need is the patience to wait for it to be delicious.

Thanks again.

STUNTx2 said:
Thanks for the help. My cider will not get heated, everything else will still get sanitized. Now all I need is the patience to wait for it to be delicious.

Thanks again.

make some apfelwein, it'll be ready in 2 months and you'd be hard pressed to find something easier to make. :drunk:

bigjohnmilford said:
make some apfelwein, it'll be ready in 2 months and you'd be hard pressed to find something easier to make. :drunk:

+1. You forgot that it tastes good and gets you buzzed fast! :rockin:

I was gonna start a thread about this but found this one and it is appropriate enough. I just made a batch of apfelwein the day I kegged a previous one. I literally just dumped the second batch into the first carboy onto the yeast cake without even rinsing it. this should be ok right? It was only open to the air for a few minutes (while racking). I used a fresh sanitised carboy cap and air lock.

I was in Middletown when I started posting here. I live in Old Saybrook now. On the shore about half way between New Haven and New London. I used to have some friends in the N Attleboro area. we have to find someone in Prov to host a brew party!

for my current batch of cider, i heated about a pint of cider to dissolve the brown sugar, and added that to the rest which was unheated to make 3 gallons. I didn't think heating that small amount of cider would noticeably affect the taste, but I'll let you know when I taste it. I'm going to bottle in about a week.

Back