Sand like substance / texture in bottle of imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
I have had an imperial stout in the bottle for about a month and noticed a sand like texture in the bottles? You can see it in the neck of the bottle and it sticks to the sides of a glass when drinking it. It literally looks like there is sand it the beer? What would cause this?

photoqba.jpg

Could just be some residue from the bottle conditioning process. Does the beer taste fine? If so there should be no concern.

Hi

Is the stuff hard / gritty / abrasive like sand or is it fairly soft? Did you do anything to condition your water (like additives)?

Bob

Did you use an oxygen based cleaner like oxyclean to wash your bottles out? If so, you probably didn't rinse them well enough afterwards and you are seeing the powdery remnants left on/in the bottle.

Did you use an oxygen based cleaner like oxyclean to wash your bottles out? If so, you probably didn't rinse them well enough afterwards and you are seeing the powdery remnants left on/in the bottle.

Yes I used PBW to clean the bottles, but half of the bottles do not have this strange stuff in them.

I just got a lot of "Trub" in a keg recently... so bad that the first pint poured was tought to look at and grainy to drink... ya we drank it any way. It kept happing because we had a "moving" party and the stuff would get kicked up again an settle arounf the drop tube. Eventually it clogged up the tube and connector...

SO: I know how it happened because I saw it. I was using a new type of 15 Gallon container for a fermentor that did not have a faucet and I used a syphon...

I move the damn thing near the end a it sucked up a bunch of trub....

SO I SAY: Open one, get it into a glass, taste it and then rub some of your "sand" between you fingers... see what it feels like...

DPB

Back