San-star question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachHarms

Reaction score
Well I feel kinda dumb for bringing this up now after I already made my first batch buuut.... Should I have rinsed all my equipment after soaking it or it's it safe this time and just rinse it from now on, I figured rinsing it after sanitizing it could expose it to bacteria so I just soaked it then used it I used San star and pbw in the carboy and did not rinse either but it looked like everything got dumped out and there wasn't any bubbles or residue that I could see thanks

Star-San is a no rinse sanitizer. What you did is the way it is meant to be used.

No worries.

You'll want to rinse PBW though. It will leave residues behind. So in short clean with PBW then rinse, then use your star san to sanitize, but don't rinse the star san.

You'll want to rinse PBW though. It will leave residues behind. So in short clean with PBW then rinse, then use your star san to sanitize, but don't rinse the star san.

This is correct. Wash with PBW and rinse, then sanitize with Star San and dump (no rinse).

You want to rinse the PBW because the residue will change the Ph of the Star San and make it not as effective.

Thanks for the input I'm still worried, my process was sanstar when it came out of the box then I dumped the San star put more in and then found the pack of pbw and realized I confused sanstar for pbw so I put in the pbw with the sanstar shook around soaked the bottom
And the neck the solution turned clear so I dumped it, everything looked like it came out and I poured in the wort the solution was clear by the end, I also was doing about a cap full of San star per gallon which I now realize is more potent then it should have been, oh well I've learned now hopefully it won't really affect anything by the time it comes to drinking it

Thanks for the input I'm still worried, my process was sanstar when it came out of the box then I dumped the San star put more in and then found the pack of pbw and realized I confused sanstar for pbw so I put in the pbw with the sanstar shook around soaked the bottom
And the neck the solution turned clear so I dumped it, everything looked like it came out and I poured in the wort the solution was clear by the end, I also was doing about a cap full of San star per gallon which I now realize is more potent then it should have been, oh well I've learned now hopefully it won't really affect anything by the time it comes to drinking it

uh....

Back