San Fran Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBrew

Reaction score
Ok, so I know that these guys can ferment at ale temps, but if that is done... is it an ale or a lager? I mean it's lager yeast, right?

I ask only because I recently brewed my first lager only to find out that neither my primary or secondary fit into my make shift lagerator (I know... if I had a brain, I'd be dangerous). Anyways, my buds come over and they ask me what I've got on tap and the best answer I could come up with was, "Well, if I had to guess... I'd say it's beer." :mug:

You're referring to California common or steam beer. It's fermented with lager yeast at ale temperatures, resulting in a unique flavor profile.

Ok, so I know that these guys can ferment at ale temps, but if that is done... is it an ale or a lager?

It's a steam beer, which many people consider the only truly American style of beer. BJCP calls it a "hybrid" style (though they also incorrectly assume that any steam/Cali common should be a clone of Anchor steam when really it's just another way of making a wide variety of beers).

Just keep in mind that the recommended temps for those two yeasts are 58-65/68 so if you ferment it in the low 70s ambient, like many hombrewers tend to ferment their ales, you're going to get some funky byproducts.

I generally kept the temp down in the 60's and it tastes just fine. Interesting, I'll have to call the boys up and let them know what they drank this weekend.

Back