San Diego - tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bliss46

Reaction score
Hey all
Heading to San Diego next week for work and I wanted to make the most of the short time I have there. Any locals with tips for a beer lover?

And most importantly: what beer should I buy to bring home that I can't get in stores in NYC/east coast?

(also where should I buy them)

My plan is to fill a checked bag on my way home with yummy hard to get beer.

If you are staying in downtown SD stop by "the best damn bottle shop" they have a great bottle selection. It's of 7th and Broadway.

Were I to take a trip to SD, I would certainly plan a brewery trip to Ballast Point. Their sculpin IPA and grapefruit sculpin are one of the best west coast IPAs I have had.
Green Flash is another one and obviously Stone (although Stone is widely distributed on the east coast).
Last but not least, I would HAVE to visit The Lost Abbey brewing..without a doubt one of my favs as well and very hard to find selection wise on the east coast. I would also love to get a tap handle from them locally.
Brewery visits also mean cool swag to buy as well as beer.

Just some ideas to fill your free time and bags for the flight home if beer is your focus.

:fro:

Were I to take a trip to SD, I would certainly plan a brewery trip to Ballast Point. Their sculpin IPA and grapefruit sculpin are one of the best west coast IPAs I have had.
Green Flash is another one and obviously Stone (although Stone is widely distributed on the east coast).
Last but not least, I would HAVE to visit The Lost Abbey brewing..without a doubt one of my favs as well and very hard to find selection wise on the east coast. I would also love to get a tap handle from them locally.
Brewery visits also mean cool swag to buy as well as beer.

Just some ideas to fill your free time and bags for the flight home if beer is your focus.

:fro:
Not sure if I can get out as far as the lost abbey... but maybe I can escape... *plots in corner*

Hit up The Best Damn Bottle Shop or Bine n Vine. If you go to Bine n Vine, go to Soda and Swine for some food (I feel like Dr. Seuss.)

Coronado Brewing on Coronado island is great, but unless you want to go to the island, just get it in a shop.

Green Flash has a great facility, but it depends on what part of SD you're in. Look into Pizza Port as well, many locations.

Honestly there are too many to list. Societe, Modern Times, Stone (multiple), Karl Strauss, Sculpin, Mike Hess, Alesmith (they just won some decent awards)

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San...Breweries-in-San-Diego/#.VT075NMyZgw.facebook

A link (that hopefully works) to some new breweries.

Oh. And Alpine and Pliny can both be found locally. Those are drink there and take home.

Im assuming by grand Hyatt, you're talking about the Manchester Grand Hyatt. I would strongly recommend checking out (right across the street) Kansas City BBQ. Small place, but its where they filmed the bar/singing scene in Top Gun. Pretty cool joint. Definitely hit up Ballast Point in little italy, and theres a Stone tap room (on Ketner) about 1/2 a mile from your hotel. Coronado brewing is across the bay from you (a ferry will take you over if you dont have a car). Oodles of places to go in North Park area as well

Had a good time in SD - wish I got out out more, but when I did I got to try some really good beers. Also picked up a load to bring home and luckily they all survived the flight back. The Best Damn Beer Shop was awesome and the guy there was very helpful.

My haul:

11206037_10152888076223634_5901160508079660111_n.jpg

I actually just got back from SD, and if you can find the time, the two best brewery experiences I had was Alesmith (speedway on tap of course, but their robust porter was one of the best porters I've ever had), and if you can make it that far, Pizza Port. I visited 3 different Pizza Port locations and they are all great, but if you can make it to Carlsbad, they have the biggest selection of taps and their own great bottle shop.

IF you have time and want to hit up Modern Times, don't visit the "Flavordome" location, hit the other location, as they have great cold brew on tap, as well as a better space with friendlier people.

If you like their stuff, Stone is a must for the sheer number of taps of rare and interesting.

I had more rare and interesting Ballast Point selections when I was in Vegas and visited the Tenaya Aces and Ales location, so I can't comment on any actual BP brewery locations in San Diego.

Back