San Diego, Coronado Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I am heading to Coronado Island for a week of R&R. On Coronado there is a pub (Coronado Brewing), but are there other recommendations? Even better, what regional bottled brews are not to be missed (I plan to spend most of the week in a lounge chair on the beach).

AleSmith is there, too. Their IPA is great and I have a bottle of their ESB in the fridge that I haven't tried yet. I'm heading to SD in July for vacation and plan to stop by Stone for a tour.

if you're looking for a good pub, check out "The Field" on 5th in the Gaslamp. Great place, I hit it up every time I go to a Padres game.

Most of the breweries are 45 minutes away from Coronado. Check all of their schedules before you head up there. You could hit AleSmith, Stone, and Ballast Point all in one day. The latter two are very close to each other.

Coronado has some good beers, you don't really find them anywhere but at their brewery. They have a barleywine that is from hell (in a good way!).

If you want more detailed info let me know, happy to help.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you check out O'Briens Pub up in clairemont. It is a craft beer drinker's heaven. I dare say the most significant craft beer pub in southern california.

Baron von BeeGee said:
You could toss back a few with Mojo Nixon. He broadcasts his Sirius radio show from 'The Shack by the Sea' in Coronado. I should add him to my list of people I'd like to have a beer with...

Now that would be a hoot!

I didn't know Mojo was back in town. I haven't seen him since he and Skid Roper played the Trojan Horse biker bar- or was it the one next door? 1983? Double bill with the Beat Farmers. Country Dick Montana, with his guts in a jar- homebrew, probably.

Anyhow, Ballast Point has a HBS, with tasters of about 8-10 HB's or their Micros...

I second AleSmith.

I went to Coronado for my honeymoon last year and I got AleSmith speedway stout. And then I got it again, and again... and again... and again... and... (you get the point). That was an AMAZING stout. All of their beers were good, actually.

I also got some of the beers from Coronado brewery. They were pretty decent... but nothing compared to Alesmith.

Stone beers are quite nice, but we get them here in Colorado. If you haven't had any Stone brews then you should get some!

Right across the bay in San Diego there is a place called the Fish Market. If you're into seafood then I would recommend checking that place out. The food was extremely good (but that might be because i'm from Colorado and you can't get anything good for seafood out here) It's a bit pricey though... right around $20-$25 a plate, but really good.

Back