Texas San Antonio brewers: how's the water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richl025

BIAB brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just moved down from the cold, frozen north (well, Tennessee at least...)

Up there I used tap water after a campden tablet, and had some standardized salt additions I would use whether I was brewing a maltier or hopier beer.

Obviously the water down here (I'm just north of the 1604 loop) is a lot harder than I'm used to, as evidenced my the water softener sitting in my garage. I _do_ have access to tap water pre-softener, and I hate the logisticial hassle of having to lug 8 gallons of spring or DI water from the store...

Do you all use the hard tap water for brewing?

N SA brewer here and yeah the water is pretty 'hard' to say the least. I'd have to recommend the lugging the 8 gallons of RO water than bother with using pre-softener water. Or try it. Give your tap a try on a test batch. Personally I use RO water but I can't say I've ever used tap water in a brew. :pipe:

I too lug the 8 gallons of RO Water from the store - looking to join any active clubs if there are any in the area or at least a meet up to brew once in a while

Homebrew Party can fill your CO2 tank - they do NOT have a Haskell pump (or equivalent) to fill your tank higher than their pressure, but they did tell me a neat trick I need to do next time I get a fill from them - keep your CO2 tanks in an ice-filled cooler during the trip to the store (and earlier if possible) - the cold tank will allow more weight of CO2 to be transferred....

Back