Samuel Smith. What CAN'T they do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam Smith's Taddy Porter, Oatmeal Stout, and Nut Brown are some of my favorites, I drink these on a regular basis at a local bar here in Florence, SC. Seems like at lot of people drink them and they don't sit around a long time. They can be bad if light struck.

The one I don't like is the Lager... nothing special at all.

I know what they can't do. The can't get me to buy their beer.

I prefer microbrews.

I know what they can't do. The can't get me to buy their beer.

I prefer microbrews.

wow, discriminate against them because you don't consider them a microbrewery? Do you consider sierra nevada, dogfish head, bell's, stone, etc microbreweries? Does open-fermenting in slate-lined boxes not "micro" enough for you?

They need to buy national TV ads to sell their beer right?

Enough said.........

I think their beer is boring. Made for the TV masses.

Well you can't go wrong with Family Guy!

Or Hopworks Urban Brewery's Organic IPA for that matter.........:mug:

They need to buy national TV ads to sell their beer right?

Enough said.........

I think their beer is boring. Made for the TV masses.

are you sure your not thinking of Sam Adams? Can't say I've ever seen a Samuel Smith's commercial.

I've enjoyed the beers I've had from them, but they are overpriced, which is why I haven't had any in a while.

are you sure your not thinking of Sam Adams? Can't say I've ever seen a Samuel Smith's commercial.

I've enjoyed the beers I've had from them, but they are overpriced, which is why I haven't had any in a while.

Well now I feel silly............:drunk:

(Is that a sign of a good weekend?)

I know one thing I love the sam smith bottles. Almost 19oz and real dark. The bottles are so dark it's tough to see how full they are when I'm bottling in them. Plus they're heavy as hell so they'll last a long time even possible drops.

I know one thing I love the sam smith bottles. Almost 19oz and real dark. The bottles are so dark it's tough to see how full they are when I'm bottling in them. Plus they're heavy as hell so they'll last a long time even possible drops.

I once scored 35 empty Sam Smith bottles from a bar that was doing a special on their beer that night. I've never felt so alive...

Couldn't agree more, on all counts. Bottling can be a little bit of guesswork, but boy do I feel safe with the brew I put in there.

Of course, the added benefit is I get to justify my Samuel Smith habit by telling SWMBO I'm trying to save money on quality bottles for the long run. :D

I am quick becoming a Samuel Smith fanboy here. First was the Oatmeal Stout, which I am still convinced is one of the best beers I've ever had. Then came the Imperial Stout, which knocked me on my a** with its deliciousness and had me begging for more. Most recently, tonight, I had the Old Brewery Pale Ale for the first time. Quite possibly one of the most refreshing English ales I've ever had.

These guys are just fantastic. Do they make any beers that aren't Grade A wonderful?

[Overly enthusiastic soap box declaration over now.]

I didn't like their Nut Brown very much honestly. It was too "burnt" tasting instead of the nutty taste it should portray. Not a huge fan as of now.

Tried their India. I did not find it appealing at all. That "samuel smith" flavor is not my cup of tea.

The Ringwood yeast gives it that unique flavor, correct?

Tried their India. I did not find it appealing at all. That "samuel smith" flavor is not my cup of tea.

The Ringwood yeast gives it that unique flavor, correct?

no, they don't use ringwood. their yeast is the yorkshire square yeast that was out as a special release a few months ago.

Back