Sampling at priming time: Alpfenwien

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Reaction score
My daughter and I are racking up the cider this weekend and we are going to sample it. We are anxious to try it. But I believe I will probably like it better after the three weeks of priming.

We also get to sample our American Cream Ale, it is ready this Saturday.

I have never drank so much beer in all of my life. I actually *like* the stuff we've made!

My husband loves it.

Jennifer

It's a good feeling to drink beer & wine that you made yourself. It's an even better feeling when you like it too! :)

The apfelwein will be good, and it definitely gets better with age. When I bottled my first batch I carbonated half of it to see which way I preferred. The carbonated won, btw.

DaveyBoy, if you don't mind me asking, how did you go about carbonating it? I have only scratched the surface of the massive apfelwein thread, so please excuse me if the answer is in there.

TL

TexLaw said:
DaveyBoy, if you don't mind me asking, how did you go about carbonating it? I have only scratched the surface of the massive apfelwein thread, so please excuse me if the answer is in there.

TL
I used Munton's Carbtabs which made it really easy to just pop the tablets into the bottles I wanted to carbonate. And you can experiment by adding more to see if you like it more carbonated like champagne, etc. They worked out really well and took the guess work out of measuring half the corn sugar for a normal batch, etc. (I was lazy).

Yuri_Rage: So you've discovered my secret. I cannot spell. Now I have to kill you. :D

I was kinda thinking the carbonated version would win out too. We'll imbibe only what we can drink during bottling and everything will be carbed. Thanks for the input Daveyboy.

Tex, I have a small thread under winemaking that asked about carbonating the stuff. Yeah, I can't spell it... I think it says 3/4 cup of dextrose to my five gallon batch. Go check it though, I'll probably be guilty of blowing up your cellar with my bad guess.

Jennifer

Back