Sample All Grain Brewery. - DAAB??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to come up with a design for a complete all grain brewery that will allow brewers to make 1 - 2.5 gallon batches of all grain beer on the stove top using inexpensive household equipment. Similar to a mini mash set up.

There have been some great ideas come out of this forum. I think collectively we could come up with a brilliantly simple system that could be put together for a few $$.

Buying coolers and such will be no good because that requires $$$ and you may as well go the whole hog and buy a large one.

Do you think we can improve on this or are we trying yo re-invent the wheels.

DaaB posts on here so maybe he can comment.

I have a few ideas I'll throw up when I get a little time.

I've been thinking about doing a 2.5-3 gallon batch of AG, because that's all I can boil right now, but really I'm not sure if it's worth all the effort, compared to getting a 5 gallon PM batch. I'm going, kicking and screaming, in the AG direction, I think I'm just going to wait it out until I get the kit together to make a full-sized batch.

For people who like to experiment with recipes w/o investing a full grain bill, I think the idea would be good, but those kind of guys probably have all the AG equipment in any case.

In a cold climate, where brewing outside is difficult, some my like the option of brewing smaller batches indoors. Lets face it in the winter where does all the cooling water go?

With that said if you can control your oven to stay with-in the mash temperature range, then mashing with paint strainers in a small kettle in the oven would work.

Sounds like a job for the mash bag! I have been wanting to go find haberdashery nylon for a while so that I can give this a try. Honestly, it could speed my brewday a lot for smaller AG batches. I'd still use my mash tun for anything over a 1.045 or so.

Daab here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=47245

BIAB here:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4650

Because honestly, if someone is going to steep grains, well, you might as well mash-bag them, and spend less on extracts.

Back