samichlaus type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

theoriginalryan

Reaction score
anybody have a samichlaus like extract beer they know off that they have had and enjoyed. I had a samichlaus bier the other day and was quite pleased. wish i had picked up a 4 pack instead of one. Anyway, i guess it is a dopplebock, but i want something with a high abv, like the samichlaus. found this recipe, might try it...

Samichlaus clone

any thoughts

Thanks
Ryan

Funkenjaeger

Reaction score
I don't know what your level of experience is, but bear in mind that the difficulty goes up exponentially with increasing gravity - it's not just as simple as throwing in more ingredients and having everything else go about the same. Fermentation of a beer that high gravity will take a long time, require a huge yeast starter, sufficient oxygen, and anything else you can throw at it - and even then, it's quite likely you'll run into problems like a stuck fermentation. That's a LOT of money to spend on ingredients if you're not totally sure it's going to ferment out properly.

High-gravity brews are really not good choices for beginners for that reason. You're probably better off working your way up by doing some moderately-high-gravity brews before you try something extreme.

Evan!

Reaction score
BYO Clones issue has a clone recipe. Unless someone else has it on hand, I'll try to grab it for you tonight and post it. It is a lager, and is pretty difficult to make---so, like Funk says, if you don't have much brewing experience yet, this may not be the best place to start.

OP
theoriginalryan

theoriginalryan

Reaction score
ive been building up a recipe list of stuff i want to try, and coming up with an order to try them. I want to try a lager a little down the road ( i have a extra chest freezer and a pid), thought that might be the one to try. I dont mind messing up, its just the price paid for progress. wasnt sure if i was going to go ag first or try lager. Guess maybe ag huh..but like i said, faliure is always an option.

Thanks
Ryan