Same Beer, different taste (bottled and kegged)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
Two months ago I brewed a 2-hearted clone. I kegged 5-gallons and had enough left over for three bottles. Good for a side-by-side comparison. Fast forward....well....two months.

Having tried both they seem like two completely different beers. The bottled maintained a much more pronounced hop profile and dryer finish and much closer to an actual 2-hearted. My best attempt yet. However, the kegged (10 PSI) version is clearly less hoppy, more malty and has more of a creamy finish. Still very good, but distinctly different than the bottled.

So, what gives? I'm not sure where to begin with cracking this mystery.

Keg also has more head space and some degree of degredation (may not be the right word) running through lines.

Large format (keg) vs small format (bottle) mature at different rates.

Perhaps relating how the beer was kegged might shed a clue.
If the keg wasn't fully purged prior to a closed transfer from the fermentor, given the character notes I would posit the issue is oxidation...

Cheers!

Keg also has more head space and some degree of degredation (may not be the right word) running through lines.

Large format (keg) vs small format (bottle) mature at different rates.

A full keg has about the same proportionate headspace as a bottle. About 6% (I measured both very carefully.) A keg with less than 5 gal initially, will have proportionately more headspace.

Perhaps relating how the beer was kegged might shed a clue.
If the keg wasn't fully purged prior to a closed transfer from the fermentor, given the character notes I would posit the issue is oxidation...

Cheers!

I agree with @day_trippr , lack of O2 exposure control during kegging is the likely cause of the difference.

Brew on :mug:

Back