Same beer, 2 buckets, Mix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krovitz

Reaction score
Hello all,

Brewed up a red ale last night at a friends house. He was supposed to get a regular ale pale and surprised me with 2 Lowes buckets so he could ferment more beer. We did a partial boil but just mixed the buckets back and forth to try and get everything evenly distributed. Both fermenters combined total 6.5 gallons. Seemed alright. Hydrometer samples matched.

I"m now wondering if we should mix the batches together after 2 weeks in my ale pail and let it sit for a week or would we be fine if we just mixed them on bottling day when we rack into bottling bucket? I'm not too worried about. Just thinking maybe there is something I'm not considering.

Thanks for any input.

You'll be fine mixing right before bottling if you want a single style of beer. Since you've already got a split batch, you could add some additional hops to one bucket and get two slightly different styles.

Back