Sam Adams?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most SA beers are alright. A good stepping stone from BMC, but there are better beers out there. I often get it at the mainstream restaurants because it is that or BMC. Usually it's the seasonal beer on draught. (currently Oktoberfest - though I'd prefer Hacker-Pschorr anyday :) )
I did buy the creme stout 6er and it is quite good even at room temperature how I like my stouts. The boston lager is a good session beer and the summer ale is as well, but every one I got this year had a little rotten taste to it. It was wierd. Either they had some bad ingredients or infection, or they changed the recipe to make it suck. We'll see next spring I guess!

gonzoflick said:
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is good

This was one I didn't like, the cherry flavor was too strong for me. I like most Sam Adams, it's usually a very reliable choice (the Oktoberfest was pretty damn good), but the Cherry Wheat wasn't as subtle on the fruit flavor as I would have hoped.

Incidentally, my wife just found out an interesting factoid about our town; Adams, Massachusetts is named after SAM ADAMS, brewer-patriot, NOT John. Very cool, methinks.

miafunk2003 said:
Which is you favorite sam adams beer?

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is what got me interested in homebrewing, although I don't drink it nearly as much, now. My favorites, as of right now, are:

1. Cream Stout
2. Boston Ale
3. Boston Lager
4. Cherry Wheat

I didn't like the Hefe too much...I've had much better. Their Scotch Ale is o.k. also. I haven't tried the Summer Ale, or Winter Ale yet.

ill be trying the sam adams george washington porter today....and i found a place that sells dead guy ale so ill be trying that as well....tried the sierra nevada stout on friday and i thought it was really good

I just bought the "Brewmaster's Sampler," and I'm not overly impressed. The Black Lager and Brown Ale are both a little thin tasting, and the Hefe is average at best.

As I recall, the Winter Ale is pretty good, and I need to pick up some Oktoberfest before it goes out of season.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Sam Summer. I prefer it over Harpoon or even Corona on a hot day out on the deck.

Incidently, does anybody know what "Grains of Paradise" are? It's on the label for the Summer, I assume it's their blend of common spices, but wasn't sure if anybody here can identify them.

My favorite is the chocolate bock, but it's hard to find any overpriced ($20 for a 1 liter). But it's one of my favorite chocolate beers. Although my chocolate oatmeal cream stout tasted pretty darn good when I transferred it to secondary yesterday...

just tried the black lager and i didnt like it thought it was watered down and the george washington porter was not to good either

Anybody try the sam adams cranberry lambic? I got some of those in a sampler I bought around christmastime a few years ago, tried it, thought it was pretty horrible. Well, those bottles sat in my cabinet for 2 or 3 years, and about a month ago on a whim I pulled one out, chilled it, and popped it. AWESOME. Absolutely freakin' awesome. Not a true lambic, mind you, but if you ignore the label and take it just for what it is, it was just fabulous. Apparently it needed a few years aging to be drinkable, but if anybody sees some old bottles of this lying around, I recommend giving it a try.

As to the original question, I like the cherry wheat fairly well, and the oktoberfest is really good. Haven't been drinking the boston ale or lager much lately, I think those were stepping stone brews for me. Cream stout's ok but nothing I'd go out of my way for. I've got a black lager in the fridge I need to try :)

miafunk2003 said:
just tried the black lager and i didnt like it thought it was watered down and the george washington porter was not to good either
Agreed about the Black Lager - not too impressive. Never tried a porter from Sam Adams, but I did REALLY enjoy Anchor Porter. Pick it up if you like a pronounced roasted malt flavor.

im glad u didnt feel like u wasted ur money so far out of the george washington porter,black lager and the heffwiezen the only one i like was the heff.

Definately like the Octoberfest. My neighbor liked it even more, so he keeps buying it and I drink it for free.

Have only tried the Boston Lager,the Light and the CherryWheat.The Boston's the best of the three.The Light is fairly tasteless and the Cherry was NASTY.I'd love to try the rest but haven't come across any of the others.
Cheers:mug:

PeterMA said:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Sam Summer. I prefer it over Harpoon or even Corona on a hot day out on the deck...

I can agree on Sam Summer, as I do like it myself. I like the Winter Ale Boston Ale, Octoberfest, and White Ale as well.

I also am a die hard Harpoon fan though.

If I had to pick one, it would be Boston Lager. I have to admit I rarely order it out though and never buy it at a packie because I think there are many better beers out there. Sam is kind of a good beer of last resort for me if I am out somewhere and the only other choices are bud, bud light, coors, coos light and miller lite. I'll usually take a Harpoon or Tremont first.

I love the Boston Ale. That's one of those beers I could drink forever. It's just so smooth. Damn, I wish I had some right now...

White Ale, without a doubt. However, anything I tasted directly from their tap on tour was awesome!

SA is what got me started on homebrew.I just knew there had to be something better the what I was used to drinking (Bwiser). I've only tried the Boston Lager, the Light, the CherryWheat and Octoberfest. I like the Octoberfest and lager best of the ones I've tried. My wife will only drink the Light and the Cherry. I can't stand the Cherry I like wheat but not the Cherrywheat (way too sweat for me). I'd plan to try the rest. Just so I can say I did..
Don

I don't drink Samual Adams (or North American Beer for that matter). The only decent beer I've found from here, so far, is Alexander Keith's. I'm all for European beer, mainly anything from the British isles, some Belgian beers, and doppelbock is great as well. But I might give it a shot (don't knock 'til you try it eh?), but if it tastes anything like Coors >:p, forget about it.

John Beere said:
Samuel Adams was my great-great-great something grandfather... just throwing that out there.

Crazy man, that's cool. Like I said, never tried your ancestor's beer, but I'm willing to.

celtic_man81 said:
Crazy man, that's cool. Like I said, never tried your ancestor's beer, but I'm willing to.

Its not like I get a cut or anything... heh. I'm about as far removed as can be... just remember seeing our geneology years ago.

But I don't think there is any relation with Sam Adams and the Boston Beer Co... they just trademarked the name.

I like their Boston Lager well enough although I prefer Brooklyn Lager over it.

I also like that they don't use to heavy of glue on their labels making their bottles easy to clean and ideal for re-use.

I just picked up a holiday sampler of their from Sams the other day to try some of their different brews... anxious to see what else they offer.

John Beere said:
Samuel Adams was my great-great-great something grandfather... just throwing that out there.

Cool!

My wife was at our local library last summer, and found out that our town was named after your great-great-great something grandfather, not his cousin like I assumed. Maybe I should name my beers after him or something, you think anyone's ever done that before? ;)

Back