Sam Adams Utopias Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigadam

Reaction score
So I found a recipe that I'd really like to try. I've always wanted to get the Sam Adams Utopias, but since the only place I can ever seem to find it is eBay (and I don't want to pay $100+ for a small decanter), I was going to try the following:

http://hopville.com/recipe/285906

My question is, can anyone guesstimate how long this might take to age properly? At 22%, I can only imagine the months involved, but still want to give it a go.

I think you've got the wrong idea about how to do this. Any yeast, including a very alcoholic tolerant one, wont get going past 1.150. You need to space it out.

1. Go Dogfish style, brew a 1.100 beer, and then add corn sugar as fermentation goes. This way it keeps it with plenty of body but not overly syrupy. Read Dogfish Head 120 clones. This is the way I'd go

2. Brew a 1.100 beer, ferment in, and cold concentrate it. Check TheMadFermentationists post on his Dave/Adam beer

3. Start with three gallons of 1.100 wort, lesser runnings, and can the remaining two gallons of wort which you boiled for a few hours to concentrate down. Not syrup but more like 1.200, really sweet. BYO article on this

Just some thoughts. I havent done one yet but planning on it with the Dpgfish style. Good luck and let us know

I made mine on 11/3. About 3 weeks ago it finished fermentation and has been put into a carboy. I will bottle in the fall and bottle condition for a year or so before trying some.

If I try it, I think I'd go with bell's third option or follow along with mark's post. Right now, I can't wrap my head around a two year period from brew day to drinking, but I still think it's worth the effort.

Has anyone out there already finished a clone of Utopias? Just curious how it turned out.

bluemoose said:
I made mine on 11/3. About 3 weeks ago it finished fermentation and has been put into a carboy. I will bottle in the fall and bottle condition for a year or so before trying some.

By the way, it's entirely likely it won't carb at those alcohol levels. This is really a beer for keggers

So I am ready to bottle mine. It finished a bit sweet. I was hoping it would drop a few more points. It finished at 1.040, I was hoping for 1.034. Not sure if I should just bottle or try something to alter it. It tastes great and has a very complex flavor.

Did you brew it up bell?

Back