Sam Adams Longshot Brewing Contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops-a-Lot

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen the latest Sam Adams television campaign? They are actually promoting homebrewing on the mass media. I love it! :rockin: I guess they have some contest (the Longshot Homebrew contest) they are actually marketing the winners this year. I can't wait to get ahold of them to give them a try. I just thought it was totally cool to see someone have a boilover on national television. Do they have this contest every year? I am sure this is something you all know about already, but being a noob I am still excited by even the smallest discovery.

I'm pretty sure it's every year.And +1 on the boil over.She ran away!! hilarious.

Sweet I am definitely going to enter this one, just need to get a couple brews finished up. I don't like that it is one entry per category, I figured one entry per sub-category would be better. (Means I can't enter my Robin Goblin ale and my Mild Life)

They've been doing this for at least a few years now. Was 2006 the first one?

Anyhow, thousands of people enter. It is pretty nuts.

Sweet I am definitely going to enter this one, just need to get a couple brews finished up. I don't like that it is one entry per category, I figured one entry per sub-category would be better. (Means I can't enter my Robin Goblin ale and my Mild Life)

Do you realize how many entries they get limiting it to one per category?

They still judge by sub-category, plus you have to take shipping into account (they want 4 bottles) so I don't think people would flood them with hundreds of bottles each.

Sam Adams is great.

I live a couple blocks from the brewery and I can attest- they are awesome. Every couple of weeks or so me and friend will head over there on a Sunday afternoon in time for one of their complimentary tours and its always such a good time. They teach people the basic ingredients and process, and they take you right through the area you always see in the commercial with the heavily-bearded brewmaster fellow.

And of course, you get the equivalent of about 2 free beers while you're there, one of which is a small-batch experimental brew. I think last time I went it was a Lemongrass Wheat.

I've also had some friends work for Boston Beer Co. and they have nothing but great things to say, especially about Jim Koch (the founder/guy whose idea it was to promote home brewing). All in all, a top-notch operation.

Love Sam Adams and love everything they do in the brewing community. Not sure if this is the video you are actually talking about... but I found this on YouTube and is one of my favorite commericals. The girl running from the boilover is priceless!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4jvD2NtHiw]YouTube - B.Y.O.B. Brew Your Own Beer[/ame]

I saw online ads for the Longshot back in '06 and that's what got me started in homebrewing.

I was thinking about doing it, but its too late. Beers have to be in by april 15th. Unless BM doesnt mind me sending in his SWMBO Slayer. :mug:

Scratch That, between april and may 1st

Sam Adams is great.

I live a couple blocks from the brewery and I can attest- they are awesome. Every couple of weeks or so me and friend will head over there on a Sunday afternoon in time for one of their complimentary tours and its always such a good time. They teach people the basic ingredients and process, and they take you right through the area you always see in the commercial with the heavily-bearded brewmaster fellow.

And of course, you get the equivalent of about 2 free beers while you're there, one of which is a small-batch experimental brew. I think last time I went it was a Lemongrass Wheat.

I've also had some friends work for Boston Beer Co. and they have nothing but great things to say, especially about Jim Koch (the founder/guy whose idea it was to promote home brewing). All in all, a top-notch operation.

I've heard the same about Jim Koch and without him I wouldn't have any bottles! :mug:

I was thinking about doing it, but its too late. Beers have to be in by april 15th. Unless BM doesnt mind me sending in his SWMBO Slayer. :mug:

Scratch That, between april and may 1st

A pliny the elder clone won two years ago. It isn't so much about recipe as it is about execution. OK, it is a bit of both, but still... If you think you made a beer good enough to compete, I say go for it.

Back