Sam Adams Long Shot..... Whatcha got?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to bottle up my entries last night and overnight them today....one beer not clear, then laziness kicked in...not entering. Oh well I'll make up for it by brewing twice this weekend and loading up on comps this summer. There's always next year!

Good Luck everyone who entered.

You realize you are signing away your rights forever? Fifty years from now they could make a really crappy beer, name it after you, and plaster your face on all the labels.
Just something to think about.

You realize you are signing away your rights forever? Fifty years from now they could make a really crappy beer, name it after you, and plaster your face on all the labels.
Just something to think about.

Yes. If you enter the contest you give them the right to use your name and likeness. Which means, in the off chance that you become wildly successful, they could very much use those rights to name a beer after you, without your permission and with no royalties.

That being said, they'd really need a reason to do something to tarnish ones likeness. I'd be more concerned about the one-time royalty. If you're beer is really killer, they could make it year-round and you get nothing for it.

That being said, the fine print isn't in there to destroy the homebrewer, it's in there to protect them from potential suits in the future. I think it's cool that they're giving homebrewers the opportunity to gain some exposure. I think there's good intention at the core of it.

As is mine. Says entry status is Pending though. Not sure if that's because I sent it to CA and not MA, but the info is there.

Same here. Still says pending on mine, and I sent it to MA. Maybe they're just getting info logged in extremely slow. That's my hope anyway; almost impossible to get a replacement batch there if there's any problem.

So, I sent three submissions for this competition, all of which were in the same box. Two of them were "confirmed" on Friday morning and their status was updated on website. The third still says "pending". How is that possible? I shipped them together...

So, I sent three submissions for this competition, all of which were in the same box. Two of them were "confirmed" on Friday morning and their status was updated on website. The third still says "pending". How is that possible? I shipped them together...

Maybe something happened to the bottles during shipping? I'm sure it will get updated for you. I packed my second box and felt the bottles moving in the styrofoam bottle carrier and I opened it up and repacked it right before I left for UPS.

Maybe something happened to the bottles during shipping? I'm sure it will get updated for you. I packed my second box and felt the bottles moving in the styrofoam bottle carrier and I opened it up and repacked it right before I left for UPS.

Nevermind. They just confirmed my submission a few minutes ago. Weird. I pack three entries together, and one gets validated a week and a half later than the others, haha. Oh well.

Oh snap...I totally skipped over the part of needing to hold on to 3 extra bottles. EEK...I better bottle some more and hope I still have enough. Not that I plan on actually progressing in the competition.

I got the call today, one of 9 finalists.

Was told I need
SIX BOTTLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll need to call back Thursday and verify.
Its still in the keg but there cant be much left in it.

I got the call today, one of 9 finalists.

Was told I need
SIX BOTTLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll need to call back Thursday and verify.
Its still in the keg but there cant be much left in it.

Congrats! Which beer was winning?

Thanks
Its an Imperial Black Ale.
Base beer is a BIG IPA but its not a Cascadian by any means.
Brown malt, lots of Carafa and Roasted barley. Think more along the lines of a Porter-ish grain bill with a face full of hops.

That's great! And hey, I have season tickets to the Patriots for the 2010 season, so I'll have to taste your beer and tell you about it if you get picked! :mug:

I agree in principal, I haven't seen the language of their contract, but I've been on both ends of that sort of thing. SA also has a good reputation as a business. If they produce your beer with your name on it, and you don't like it, you could always come out of the closet as a cannibal who eats children. That would probably nip that beer in the bud. And your street (path) cred would grow exponentially in Borneo.

Yes. If you enter the contest you give them the right to use your name and likeness. Which means, in the off chance that you become wildly successful, they could very much use those rights to name a beer after you, without your permission and with no royalties.

That being said, they'd really need a reason to do something to tarnish ones likeness. I'd be more concerned about the one-time royalty. If you're beer is really killer, they could make it year-round and you get nothing for it.

That being said, the fine print isn't in there to destroy the homebrewer, it's in there to protect them from potential suits in the future. I think it's cool that they're giving homebrewers the opportunity to gain some exposure. I think there's good intention at the core of it.

Got a package in the mail from Sam Adams and it was a T-shirt and my score sheets.

I scored a 29/50 with my Coconut Stout. The comments were very encouraging. The main issue was that all 3 judges said that the beer does not fit Category 23 and really be in 21a. Otherwise it was said that the sweet stout base was good, the head retention was short due to coconut, and had a very strong coconut flavor(one judge said it was a little too much). Got high remarks for the smell and overall it was all pretty positive. It was my first time entering a contest and I had no idea how this beer, or any for that matter, would score.

It also said if I am going to GABF to stop by the booth and meet the finalists, which I am. I will be wearing my shirt too!

Back