Sam Adams Irish Red Clone ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad2157

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and have only did a handful of batches now, but I am really wanting to do a Sam Adams Irish Red clone recipe. I am still doing extract with grain type brewing. Does anyone have any ideas of a clone recipe for this? Here's the information I have been able to find out via Sam Adams website and a beer magazine that had a brief article about the irish red. I have been searching the web for a clone recipe, and I know it is hard to find since this is a newer style of beer from Sam Adams.

Sam Adams Irish Red
5.5% ABV

Harrington Malts
Metcalfe Malts
Caramel 60 Malts

East Kent Goldings Hops
Spalt-Spalter Hops

Schendera,
Nice recipe!!

One question on your water. It has a pH of 9.57?? Do you do anything to adjust the pH of your steeping water lower? I live in northern Ill with a well and my pH is 7.50 with a total alkalinity of 420.

I do Extract beers and they used to have an astringent after taste. So, I started adjusting the pH downward to less than 6.0, which also dropped the alkalinity to around 120, or so. My recent beers have tasted great with no astringent after taste.

Anyway, I was just wondering, given the high pH.

Bills Brew said:
Schendera,
Nice recipe!!

One question on your water. It has a pH of 9.57?? Do you do anything to adjust the pH of your steeping water lower? I live in northern Ill with a well and my pH is 7.50 with a total alkalinity of 420.

I do Extract beers and they used to have an astringent after taste. So, I started adjusting the pH downward to less than 6.0, which also dropped the alkalinity to around 120, or so. My recent beers have tasted great with no astringent after taste.

Anyway, I was just wondering, given the high pH.

This is my city water. I usually boil my water first if I make AG beers. It lowers the pH quite a bit. Much closer to 7.

As for extracts I use unboiled city water for the partial boil and bottled water for topping off. Pay no mind to the pH its what I have loaded in ProMash for my local water here in Des Moines. Its straigh from the city water reports.

If you make this recipe with your 7.5 water you will be good to go.

If you try this, I'm sure you'll like this one!!! I haven't found a person that hasn't so far.

:mug:

tried my first Sam Adams Irish Red tonight......tasted very good and I love the maltiness.

Got any new recipes yet?

nothing huh? I got a bunch of challenger hops.....and I'm now thinking it may be good for this.

Back