Sam Adam's Imperial Series...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up one of each last Friday before I flew west to SF. I'll have to try them when I get home. :mug:

Any thoughts? I just saw them at the local beer shop... Thought about grabbing a pack of each...

I've had the Double Bock and the Imperial Stout. (I've also had the Imperial Pilsner, but I think that's a separate brew and not part of this particular series.) I skipped the Imperial White as it's not a style I care for. The Double Bock and the Imperial Stout are both pretty good beers and worth picking up a four of to try. I'm not sure that the price justifies buying more than that though. I'd file these under nice to try once, but not worth buying again and again.

The Double Bock is okay. A little on the sweet side for me. The Imperial White is not very good. Very boozy and sickeningly sweet. I really want to try the Imperial Stout but I haven't had a chance.

The bock was good, albeit sweet... Haven't gotten around to the Stout and I will prolly avoid the White like the plague...

I'm going to let mine age a bit longer and give it another try. The double bock was far too sweet for me and the white lacked...drinkabiliity :drunk:. I'm saving the stout.

All are waaayyyyy too sweet. The imperial stout is not quite as sweet as the double bock but close. I've had all and wouldn't recommend any.

+ 1 on the Imperial White. Picked one up at the world market the other day and had to dump out half down the sink. Just couldn't bring myself to drink it. The bottle said over 10% abv and that's just way too much.

I can't find the podcast, but I remember hearing Jim Koch denounce "Imperial" beers as too easy and something he wasn't interested in brewing.

I've tried them, cause I got them in a steal, they were not good in my own opinion.

Sean From New Hampshire

+1 for the dumping the imperial white, partly b/c it's not my style partly b/c it's overly sweet. I'll still give the rest of them a try to to say I have, but I'm keeping the expectations low.

I had the imperial stout and it seemed solid. I haven't had the other two however.

Wow, I'm in the minority, but I liked both the Imperial White and the Imperial Double Bock. I'm a fan of Dopplebocks and although this isn't the best, it's drinkable and worth the shot. I think my favorite dopplebock is Ayinger's Celebrator. The imperial white was interesting. It was VERY sweet and the alcohol presence was really assertive. If you like belgian white's or a blue moon style it's worth a try. I don't think I'll be getting them again...but I feel everything should be tried at least once.

Latest posts

Back