Sam Adams Imperial Double Bock clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good Sam Adams Imperial Double Bock recipe in a mini-mash format. I've found one for Mr Beer sized kit but I need a 5 gal recipe. I also need good boil, hop, and fermentation directions and times/temps.

Thanks

If you found it for a 2 gal recipe (Mr Beer Kit size) then just double it and do a full 4 gal boil....That seems to be the simplest way to get close to where you wanna be.

I'm not sure that was even a good recipe. Looked a little scetchy to me.

Gotcha....

Well just looking at the type of beer you want to make "Double Bock" that is going to need to be fermented with lager yeast, and lagered. Do you have a temp controlled fermentation chamber? Do you know anything about lagering?

You might want to look for like a Chocolate Stout recipe around here that is tried and true...You will get alot of the thick malty notes I think you might be after in the Sam Adam's...

But if you dead set on the double bock....good luck....It's a lot more work then I think you realize for that type of beer.

No and Not much knowledge - I just know it should be colder than with ales - I have a garage that stays in the 40's mostly this time of year so I thought this would be a good time to lager. I'm also trying to figure out how to use a heating belt if I need to keep temps up, but the garage may be warm enough that that isn't necessary.

also, I don't like those chocolate stouts very much. I do love the SA Imperial, but its over $2.50 per bottle

Do I absolutely need fridge temps? If so, could/should I maybe do a 1 or 2 gallon batch after all, and transfer the wort into the 1 gal glass jugs I use for Cider and ferment in my food fridge?

I'd try to find a recipe that will work with the equipment you have. If you do go the Double Bock route...
Keep us updated...I like the SA IDB also! :mug::mug:

OK - now I'm building equipment to do all grain - though only a half batch at a time. Any ideas for an all grain recipe for this?

Back