Sam Adams Chocolate Bock - cocoa bean ques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a cool thing on 'Unwrapped' on the food network about chocolate, and they were talking about Sam Adams Chocolate Bock.

It looked and sounded fricking AWESOME, and now I want to make some. They mentioned that they used 'cocoa niblets' in fermentation to have the chocolate taste. I've looked around on the net, and they're fricking EXPENSIVE...to the tune of about $9/lb + shipping.

How much cocoa beans would one need to get a moderate yet not overpowering chocolate flavor? How do you prepare the beans?

Does anyone have a recipe that uses chocolate beans?

I'd guess you would get the same flavor using a high quality cocoa powder like Ghirardelli baking cocoa.

The problem with using whole beans would be the high protein content, which is separated from the cocoa powder in the form of cocoa butter. Cocoa powder usually has the cocoa butter removed.

I brewed a Cocoa Bean Stout last winter using 4 oz. of crushed cocoa nibs from a local chocolate factory called Theo here in Seattle. I added the nibs at 10 min before flameout. The nibs imparted a wonderful chocolate flavor with a slight nuttiness.

EDIT - Recipe is in the data base. "Choco Train Cocoa Bean Stout"

Back