Sam Adams advertising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, this has a Tom Sawyer whitewashed fence ring to it. I see SA getting thousands of people (tens of thousands?) to develop recipes which SA then magically owns the rights to and all this is basically for free. What tops it off is these thousands of people then praise SA for how noble and great they are. It also, as an added side benefit, generates a lot of interest in their product in general. Whoever at SA thought this one up, deserves a raise.

brewhead said:
it's inferred.

You're certainly welcome to "infer" anything that you want but doing so doesn't make your assumption fact. If anything, the thought of a company as large and successful as SA being "hurting for recipes" is, IMHO, pretty ridiculous. Deploying an awesome marketing idea that generates interest in their product along with the potential for new product recipes? Yes. Hurting for recipes? No.

The fact that we are even talking about the ad is just proof that their marketing works well. You might not like the ad, you might hate it you might love it, but it gets you talking to people about it and spreading the name even more(not that anyone on here doesnt know what Sam Adams is). And it does make sense if you listen to it for what it is. Hops accentuate flavor and aroma...Prost to Jim Koch haha

Richard said:
You should add this post to the "you know you're not a newbie when" thread.

Nate is pretty far from a newbie. He has one of the better systems I have seen on the board.

A few thoughts of mine. With a company the size of BBC, I imagine the entire ad campagin was not even developed inhouse, and definetly not by Jim Kosch. There most likely was a consulting group out of Manhatten that came up with this (very successful) brainchild. It is a little silly to look for deeper meaning to any national ad campaign. I really do not think the energizer bunny is really still going...

Also, SA does take a lot of heat in the homebrew forums. I seriously doubt alot of the haters would even find the hobby if it were not for SA.

Guys,

I'm sorry I started this thread and I'm going to bow out of it now. It's becoming some Usenet-type discussion with people, for some reason, taking this as some personal attack on SA. For the record, IMHO, SA has done a world of good for craft beer and this homebrew contest is pure marketing genius.

On the other hand, the "hops are to beer what grapes are to wine" thing, to me, just seemed way off base...

Ryan_PA said:
Nate is pretty far from a newbie. He has one of the better systems I have seen on the board.

Um...if you think a little harder about what I said, you'll realise that I was not accusing Nate of being a newbie. In fact I was saying the opposite.

I like the dude with the beard on their commericals. I could drink a few with him I suspect.
:mug:

Nate said:
Guys,

I'm sorry I started this thread and I'm going to bow out of it now. It's becoming some Usenet-type discussion with people, for some reason, taking this as some personal attack on SA. For the record, IMHO, SA has done a world of good for craft beer and this homebrew contest is pure marketing genius.

On the other hand, the "hops are to beer what grapes are to wine" thing, to me, just seemed way off base...

sorry you feel that way bro - seems you are the only one taking offense - as i have taken no umbrage to your posts. this the evolution of a thread. sorry it couldn't "stay on track" as you would have wished

Back