Salvageable Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerb19

Reaction score
So i put in a batch of 2 gallons of mead in January. I went to my local brew shop and bought at their recommendation (since i was on a budget) a 2 gallon bucket to use to make the mead. I activated the yeast, capped it, put the airlock on and left it. The bubbling in the airlock was slow, maybe 1 bubble every 2 to 3 seconds, maybe a bit slower, for a couple weeks (i was thinking this may be because my house was on the cold side 60-61 degrees). Once it stopped i didn't have anything to let it age in, so its been sitting in the bucket this whole time. I finally have money to purchase some glass bottles but i want to know if it is worth it and if i should just throw it out. Any pearls of wisdom for me?

How's it taste? If it tastes fine, or just like hot from the alcohol its fine.

The Highly debated Oxygenation through plastic question: I've read both sides saying that plastic buckets let tons of oxygen in and others say its very minimal. I say buy the glassware as its good to have for future batches even if this doesn't turn out. However, It's probably fine.

Not sure honestly, havent dared to open the bucket since the fermentation began. Il check it when i get home and give it a taste test.

As long as the quality of the bucket is good, you should be fine. Especially considering the fact that you haven't opened it since the first stages of fermentation. If what I've heard from others on this forum is correct, there should still be a blanket of C02 surrounding your mead right now, thus protecting it. Taste it, and if it seems fine, you might as well bottle it and let it age out. Some people like oxidized wines and mead anyway. Maybe you do too. Or, at the very least, know someone that does. Never dump a batch unless it tastes like a dead animal (In my opinion).

Well i went home and tasted it and it tasted fine, definately didnt taste like a dead animal lol. Bottled it and corked it, now its aging away. Gonna try it in like 6 months to a year. Thanks everyone

Mead is a long term project. Ideally you want to ferment for 6 months or more. After that, bottle it and wait even longer before drinking. I make a yearly batch of mead. Once I bottle, I typically try one after 6 months. I find that it's great after a year and just gets better the longer you wait.

Back