Salvageable? Maybe a sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

77punx

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I brewed an IPA a long time ago (4 - 5 months ago) i racked it into a secondary at least to get it off the trub. I got really busy ( moved and started nursing school) and it has been sitting in my parents closet ever since. You think I can pitch some lactobacillus and make a sour i and see what happens? Or is this just toast?

What does it taste like? If it still tastes decent you could probably just add 3 oz of dry hops for a week, then go ahead and package it. The only way to know if it's salvageable is to know how it tastes now...

There's a thread somewhere about the longest time people have left beer in a fermenter and then "finished it" through dry hopping or bottling or whatever. I personally had the same thing happen with two different IPA batches. Had a kid, beer sat in a closet for about the same amount of time and both are still memorable as some of the best batches! It's exactly what tool dude said dry hop them for a few days and drink them no need to sour them.

My favorite part about home brewing is how forgiving this stuff is.

I always start siphon with my mouth (major no-no) and never had infection issues. Obviously not related, but just agreeing on how forgiving it is. To an extant of course

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't sour this batch for three reasons:

1. As others say, you can probably dry hop and still have great beer.

2. Commercial lacto cultures from White Labs and Wyeast are pretty weak. Meaning, they don't do well even at moderate IBUs.

3. Bitterness can be really difficult to balance with sour. So even if it's moderately bitter it might be better as something like a pale ale than a sour.

Thanks for the advice, Ill dry hop it this week and keg on the weekend if I can find the time!

Back