Salvage un-carbed sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I barrel aged a golden sour with a brettanomyces blend for several months, and it finished at 1.000. Come bottling day, I used Lallemand's CBC-1 bottle conditioning yeast, and according to their calculator, I pitched 1.89 grams of the rehydrated yeast with 4.5 oz of corn sugar per 5 gallons (this was a 15 gallon barrel that I primed and bottled in 5 gal batches). A month and a half later sitting at 68 degrees (couldn't get my basement much warmer this time of year, but this is well within the range of this yeast) and the beer is nearly flat. Looking at the bottles, it is still fairly cloudy, I am assuming there is still yeast activity. Small bubbles work themselves up from the bottom consistently. I corked these, but I can't imagine any CO2 is leaking out of them, they are fastened tight.

I don't bottle condition much, so I am welcome to any suggestions here. Is it a good idea to try and add more sugar and yeast in each bottle and re-cork? I took another measurement and it is still at 1.000

I took another measurement and it is still at 1.000

Hmm. That corn sugar should have raised the gravity by about two and a half points, so if it wasn't eaten, your gravity ought to read 1.002 or 1.003 now.

Bring a six pack upstairs from the basement and let it sit in the warmest part of your house for a few weeks and see what happens.

Bring a six pack upstairs from the basement and let it sit in the warmest part of your house for a few weeks and see what happens.
If the gravity reading is 1.000, indicating no more fermentable sugars, then would this really help? I’m thinking it needs a new dose of sugar in each bottle. I’m not sure what the best method would be to do this.

Is it possible that CO2 is escaping the corks? The ones I used were designed for Belgian beer bottles, which I used, and they look to be really tight in there.

Back