Salty back end

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
Hello all, I just did an IPA that is really good. I do sense a slight salty back end on the beer. Anyone know what attributes to this? It is not bad just curious what is responsible for this flavor.

I do add about 10 cap fulls of phosphoric acid 10% to my 10 gallons of mash water. Could that do it?
Otherwise pretty straight forward recipe with filtered water.

I find nearly all the beers at a certain brewery to have a hard dry bitter finish and a lingering salty flavour. Talking to them and doing some beer matt calculations show approx 20ppm sodium which can easily range from 0-150ppm without tasting salty and so shouldn't be the problem. Exploring RA reductions of approx 50ppm as CaCO3 to mellow the harsh/coarseness and trying to tone down the sulfates as previous recipes were designed with 'accentuates hop bitterness, crispness and dryness' taken to mean 'our beers will be REALLY hoppy' when it isn't really the same thing.

Ok that helps. I did add about 15oz of hops total for a 10 gallon batch. Could it be the hops giving the slight salty backend? Cascade/ctz/simcoe/centennial/amarillo/citra/chinook . . . .

Back