Salts for RO Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nil

Reaction score
Hello Guys, I am ready to get to the next level and adjust my water with salts.

Should I adjust the striking water or all the water that I will need?

If I just adjust the striking water only, then the salts will be diluted with the sparging water and even more with additional qs water after chilling.

At least in theory, this may have an impact (to say) in an IPA as the sulfates will be diluted and reduce the kick in hopiness.

Thanks, Nil :tank:

How many additional quarts of water? I treat all of my water...mash and sparge. I don't always acidify the sparge water though, depending on what grist I have it's frequently no needed.

You can adjust your top off water too and not have to worry about dilution.

10 lbs fo grist, 1.5qt/lb, 15 qt. Dont know about not acidifying the sparge.... I had efficiency problems since I started on 100% grain and resolved the problem by matching the sparing water & the mash pH.

10 lbs fo grist, 1.5qt/lb, 15 qt. Dont know about not acidifying the sparge.... I had efficiency problems since I started on 100% grain and resolved the problem by matching the sparing water & the mash pH.

If that works for ya then I'd stick with it. I was under the impression you were going to be using topoff water after flameout to bring your batch up to volume, thus the reccomendation for treating that water ahead of time. :mug:

Back