Salt coating cheese?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody answered, so I'll comment.

I know of some that are brined in a salt solution. I don't know of any that are packed in salt. The salt will dry it out completely and make it very salty, so I doubt that's a good option. The cheese I made with brine was pretty salty after a few hours of soaking.

Most all cheeses are brined to prevent unwanted mold from forming on the surface. a typical cheese might be soaked in a brine solution overnight and then wiped down with a brine solution every few days.

I brine many cheeses (or, I follow instructions that tell me to brine :) )

The saltiest cheese is feta. I used a ton of salt when I recently made feta. I know some people cut the feta into small cubes and store it in brine.

In this , they use a salt coating which exchanges with the remaining whey left in the curd. In other words, salt goes in, whey comes out. If you want skip past the making part, the slating goes on at 9:30ish in the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back