Sale at 47Hops.com - $4.47 per Pound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NothingRhymesWithCurtiss

Reaction score
I just wanted to share a promo that I found.

47Hops.com is running a promo for $4.47 per pound. Shipping was $13 for 3.5 pounds going to Michigan. But even with the shipping cost, it's cheaper than most vendors that I have found.

I've never ordered from them before, but I should be pretty well stocked up for summer!

It looks like they are selling all 2016 hops. Maybe they are some type of clearance house? And they offer half pounds for just $2.24, which are going to stay fresh longer, so that seems the way to go!

I can get 8 pounds shipped to California for less than $10. Pretty good rates there too!

It looks like they are selling all 2016 hops. Maybe they are some type of clearance house? And they offer half pounds for just $2.24, which are going to stay fresh longer, so that seems the way to go!

I can get 8 pounds shipped to California for less than $10. Pretty good rates there too!

Why would a half pound stay fresh longer?

I'm very interested to hear how these are packaged upon arrival.

Why would a half pound stay fresh longer?

I'm very interested to hear how these are packaged upon arrival.
When I have bought 1lb bags (form other retailers) they came in 1 big bag. Once you open that bag, you loose the nitrogen they flush with (usually) and the bag gradually starts deteriorating. If you got 2 half pound bags instead, that second bag stays sealed and fresh while you are using the first.

I just ordered 3 lbs of various hops in half pound increments. If they aren’t packaged well then I vacuum seal them in mason jars and store in the fridge.

When I have bought 1lb bags (form other retailers) they came in 1 big bag. Once you open that bag, you loose the nitrogen they flush with (usually) and the bag gradually starts deteriorating. If you got 2 half pound bags instead, that second bag stays sealed and fresh while you are using the first.

Makes sense. I always repackage if I have left overs in a vacuum bag. I never trust the nitrogen flush unless it’s direct from the hop pellitzer.

My more expensive order from YVH arrived in two days. That's fast shipping considering I live on the other side of the country in SC. Still no shipping conformation from 47hops.

There’s a thread on beeradvocate in which 47hops answered some questions in addition to stating that they were doubling warehouse staff to help accommodate the massive influx of orders brought about by this sale. They also said they were having server issues that interfered with confirmation emails (never got one myself). Apparently their customer service department (One lady named Amanda I think) has been very helpful and 47hops recommended calling or sending an email if you have any questions. Not sure I can provide links to competing forums but it should be an easy google search to find the thread.

Personally I don't mind the 2016. I ordered a few pounds earlier this year from 2016 and thought they were fine.
+1 I have vacuum packed hops from 2014 in the freezer, I break them down into 4 oz packages and use them as I need them, once I open them for a beer, I will use any remaining hops quick usually depending on what hop as a first wort or bittering since there usually less than an ounce and I do 15 gallon batches. If they are NZ hops ill throw them into batches of cider that always seem to be hanging around.

Placed my order the same day. Still haven’t seen a shipping confirmation.

They probably ran out of product. I remember this same thing happened when nikobrew hops went out of business and they had to refund some orders. Home brew supply did it too when they sold the business.

I received an order confirmation and then an invoice on the day I placed the order, but no shipping notification.

I just sent an inquiry about the status of my order through their contact page. Let's see what happens.

This may give you an idea where you are in the shipping lane:
On the other thread about this sale someone said they ordered on 5/10 and received the shipment yesterday.

Great deal!
I placed my order today, 12# of IPA hops. Received order confirmation and invoice.
FedEx Ground shipping to Maryland was $15.90. That's pretty decent too.

I can wait...

I’m feeling better. I ordered a lb of CTZ then a smorgasbord of half lbs the 13th so hopefully they will arrive next week. Don’t need them just want to make sure I get them.

Yeah, the company is selling off a large overstock of hops probably to try and get out of bankruptcy, at this price i bet they have thousands of orders from hopheads like us. I have 20 lbs ordered on the 15th

Was waiting till this evening and we’ll... shot... sale is over... damm my luck

So sorry you missed out. They could have put a "sale end date" on their site, huh...

New hops are coming in September/October. Also keep an eye out for sales of 2016 and 2017 hops.

Do we have a list of venerable/discount hop vendors?
  • HopsDirect
  • YakimaValleyHops (YVH)
  • 47Hops
I never knew about 47Hops before I bumped into this thread, but would buy from them as their regular pricing seems quite fair.

In fact, I think hops direct's prices on some of the 2016 varieties aren't much higher than this sale

Sadly, HopsDirect only has 2 2016 hops on sale at the moment for $5 and $7, plus one debittered fot $5, I just checked.
Unless things have changed, HopsDirect's shipping charges are usually a lot more than what we just paid at 47Hops.

I was wondering about HopsDirect 2016 hops, they used to run very decent sales on previous year hops, but haven't seen much of those the past 3 or 4 years. Years ago I bought some discounted hops from them during their annual sale for $10-15, and those with buy-one-get-one-free, came in around $4.50-7 a pound. Shipping was always a bit steep, a bit over $2 a pound when ordering 10-12 pounds, or so.

So this sale was definitely one of the very best we've had lately.

Did you get any? - Just saw it 13.5# split with a friend. :rock:

Last edited:
Are they still running the sale? I went to the site but I don't see anything about a sale.

Nah, it looks like that sale is over, at least for now.
Posting a "sale end date" on site would have been a nice courtesy...

But who knows what happens next? I'd keep an eye on that place, check daily, to see if they run another one.

Back