Saison Yeast Fermenting Near Heat Vent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ishkabibble

Reaction score
It's February in Michigan--a warm day is 25F.

To spite the bs that is midworst weather, I pitched a WLP 565 into 5G fermenter, wrapped it in heavy towels and placed it within inches of a floor vent in my home. This morning, a room thermometer next to the fermenter read 80F, and the fermenter surface felt warm to the touch of my admittedly frozen hand.

No, I do not have a thermometer stuck to the outside of the bucket--that would be too easy. :D

Something tells me I should move the fermenter away from the vent, even though I'm lucky to hit 60F in my drafty old house.

Or should I keep the fermenter near the vent for the duration of the 2-week primary, and then move it to a secondary in a cooler 60F part of a room?

Or not worry about it, as my heat is set loooow for the 13 hours during the day when I'm not home?

Thoughts?

I don't believe that yeast takes to kindly to temp swings. To do it right at the very least you should get a fish tank heater and drop it in the fermenter or put the fermenter in a tub of water with one in it.

Back