Saison with Wyeast 3724

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bendbiker

Reaction score
So last year I tried a Saison with WLP566 (the platinum strain) and it was excellent and fruity. This year I'd like to try the Wyeast 3724 version. I hear it is more "earthy/spicy" or something...

My latest Saison recipe to brew brewed in a week or so:

8 lbs pilsner malt
1 lb wheat malt
1lb munich malt
0.5lb aromatic malt

1oz Sterling at 60 mins
0.5 oz Saaz at 10 mins

Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison and Wyeast Belgian Strong mixed together to improve attenuation. (Both work well at high Temps up to 27C!)

Plan is also to add 3 lbs of honey in a bit of boiled water after krausen has fallen off primary fermentation. If I mash 90 mins at 149F I think I should get good attenuation esp with the honey and it should be a TASTY beer. :ban::rockin:

What do you guys think??
:mug:

BTW- I think this will be 1.050-1.060 SG and like 20-30 IBUs

With the 3 lbs of honey I think you will have a higher OG (but that depends on your efficiency). I like a simpler saison recipe to let the yeast take center stage, maybe drop the aromatic? Otherwise looks good. If you want a single yeast with good flavor and attenuation give 3711 a shot sometime. Good luck.

With the 3 lbs of honey I think you will have a higher OG (but that depends on your efficiency). I like a simpler saison recipe to let the yeast take center stage, maybe drop the aromatic? Otherwise looks good. If you want a single yeast with good flavor and attenuation give 3711 a shot sometime. Good luck.

I might chicken out on the aromatic actually. I read it was maltly but quite potent. I've yet to try it.
I typically get low efficiency with my cooler setup, but then again I'm not going to cry if I shoot 1.060+ either :)ban: yah alcohol!) as long as everything ferments down nice and dry.

I think Wlp566 is the Wyeast equivalent of 3711. It fermented with no stalls and was fruitier.

Does anyone have any advice on how to funkify a gallon or so with Brettanomyces? I am tempted but have never tried anything but
Saccharomyces.....:confused:

I may also wait to add the Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong yeast till after the honey addition when the krausen drops. I am concerned it won't get hot enough here for the 3724 to finish out dry...

I think Wlp566 is the Wyeast equivalent of 3711. It fermented with no stalls and was fruitier.

Does anyone have any advice on how to funkify a gallon or so with Brettanomyces? I am tempted but have never tried anything but
Saccharomyces.....:confused:

Not sure 566=3711, (http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm lists it as another once of the Dupont strains). 3711 isn't too fruity, lots of spice and supposedly from Thiriez.

The easiest way is to toss a tube of Brett or bottle dregs (from your favorite bottle of unpasteurized sour/funky beer) into the beer either in primary or secondary. I've had better luck getting sourness with bugs in primary, but for funk only it seems fine with bugs at any time. I had a terrific saison fermented with Brett C and the Dupont strain at a brewpub, something I'll have to replicate sometime.

I've got a dreg culture from a bottle of Saison De Lente I'm trying to figure out a recipe for. Any suggestions?

I made a great saison with pils and saaz. I really liked the results, but some unmalted grain would be a nice addition as well. http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/11/hoppy-french-saison.html

If you like de Lente go on the hoppier side of things. I did 36 IBUs for a 1.050 beer with a couple additions in the last 10 minutes of the boil. Don't go too crazy with the IBUs, a dry beer really helps them to standout.

Those dregs will have some Brett in them, so you may need to wait an extra few months for it to finish out.

Good luck.

Man talk about serendipity/small world kind of stuff, I literally went right to your site just after my original post this morning and found that hoppy saison recipe and printed it earlier this morning. It's printed and on my desk right now. I refer to your blog often for sour related topics. Keep up the great work and thanks for the suggestion.

I currently have 55 pounds of Weyermann pilsner malt and a whole bunch of Weyermann torrified wheat in stock right now.

Think I should mix the dregs I currently have with the Wyeast 3711 to get it going a bit quicker?

Thanks, always glad to hear my blog is helping other brewers.

It depends what you want in a finished beer. 3711 is a monster, it won't leave much left for the Brett to eat (although Brett always seems to find a way to make a bit of funk). If you want more funk, just step up the dregs to ~1-2 qrts and pitch that.

Thanks for your observation on 3711. I think I'll make a starter from the De Lente culture I currently have and use that. I'm sure it can't be all brett as that beer did have quite the saison taste so it must be a mixed of yeast strains. If that's the case then a 2L starter ought to work out fine and I'll leave it for awhile for the brett to come through.

I'm gonna brew this one on Monday or Tuesday and might also use Brett in secondary. We'll see how it goes...

Back