Saison too dry. Not good flavor.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malaleb

Reaction score
This was my 2nd batch of beer and my first solo attempt. I did a small batch (1.75 gal) of a basic all-grain saison. The O.G. was 1.064, which was a higher gravity than the recipe said. The recipe called for 1/2 a vial of yeast, but I accidentally dumped in the whole thing.

I opened up my fermenter to do a gravity test after about 6 days, and the gravity was down to 1.012 and it tasted great. With some carbonation it would have been a great beer just as it was. I figured it could only get better.

Now it's been a total of 10 days. I decided to to do another gravity and taste test. Gravity is down to about 1.006, and it tastes...pretty awful. Way too dry and some other unpleasant flavors that I can't quite pin down. The finish reminds me a bit of dry sake.

Any idea what went wrong? Was the O.G. too high to make a good saison? Is the yeast the problem?

Edit: I should add that I don't plan on throwing it out or anything like that. I'm planning to wait and give it a chance. But I was planning on brewing another batch of saison soon with a slightly different recipe, and I want to make sure I don't make the same mistakes.

White Labs Saison II. Tried to keep the temp consistent but it fluctuated in the mid-low 70s.

And yeah, I've read saisons are meant to be dry. I'm just surprised at how much better it tasted a few days ago.

+1 to the FG being right on for the style.

&,

+1 to letting it sit, or for that matter bottle it now, then let it sit.

Ok. I forgot to add that I opened it today primarily to throw the dry hops in, so I'm hoping that will add a little complexity to the flavor and aroma.

I'll relax and see how it goes.

Back