Saison Temperature Rollercoaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokfizix

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I recently decided I'd like to brew a Belgain Saison. What I didn't realize is that the recommended fermentation temperature (for a few days at least) is 85 F. This is clearly not the right time of year (temperatures outside are in the 30's) for me to be brewing with this yeast (WL565) but since the brew has be brewed and yeast already turned into a starter, I figured I might as well give it a go anyway. So here's what I have been doing. I put my fermenter in a clean trash can and filled it with warm water and then cover the whole thing with a thick blanket. My temperature cycle goes something like this:

1) Wake up in the morning measure temperature of the brew (it's around 65). Empty water from garbage can. Add 5 gallons of water at ~100 F. Slosh fermeter to stir up yeast. Add fermenter to garbage can with warm water. Slosh everything around for like 2 minutes until the temp of everything comes to equilibrium at 85. Cover garbage can with lid and blacket.
2) Come back in the evening and measure temperature (back at 65). Repeat these steps each morning and evening.

I'm sure I should have probably put together some kind of temperature controller. I was thinking I could do the same setup with an aquarium heater. But when it comes down to it - at the moment - I am just too cheap and er lazy. (although the aquarium heater would probably be a lot less effort.)

My question for you folks: is what I am doing bad? Am I likely to end up with bad tasting beer? Should I expect a stuck fermentation? Am I guilty of yeast abuse?

The change is temps are not ideal but better than having it ferment in the 30s or 40s. I have brewed the 565 a few times and never had it over 75 so I think the lowed temps of 65 should be fine. Might not have the spicy phenolic flavours that are thrown off with higher temps but a tasty brew none the less. Better to have these temp swings with a saison than any other beer style. Let us know how it goes.

That yeast is notorious for stalling at low temperatures so have a back up ready!

An aquarium heater is pretty cheap on Ebay and you can get one that'll see you through this brew. A lot have built in thermostats and although they're not that reliable it'd be better than nothing. You can attach a proper temperature controller to it at a later date.

I'd be more concerned with the sloshing. If you're just gently rousing the yeast, that's fine but sloshing will leave you with seriously musty cardboard flavored beer.

As for temperature, you could put it in a closet with a heating pad, or a small room with a space heater.

That yeast won't like the temp swings and probably just slow waaaay down or even stop.

Get an aquarium heater and you will have no problems. I use an Aqueon Pro that goes up to 88 degrees. It stays within +/- 1 degree. I use it all the time since Belgians and Saisons are some of my favorites and I can do them even in the winter when my basement is 60 degrees.

Beligians are pretty forgiving in general because much of what makes them so unique is intentionally stressing the yeast to create the desired esters.

That said, I agree with others that you're better off at the high end of the temp range than the low.

Most of your ester production occurs within the first 2-3 days so you'll likely have a relatively "clean" Saison due to the lower fermentation temp.

I found the quote I was looking for. It is from the Yeast Book.

Chris White of White Labs yeast, says of Belgian yeasts.

"When you cool them, they stop. They go into survival mode. You can try rousing them, raising the temperature, but they won't start again. You just have to add new yeast."

Your description of the brew getting down to 65 a couple of times per day could just shut the yeast down.

If your brew gets stuck you can make a starter of 3711 and pitch it. It will definitely finish it up.

I had a similar issue with 3724. I ended up putting the carboy into my mashtun and filling it will hot water twice a day. It took about 3 weeks but I got it down to 1.006 (left town on the weekends). I'm going to bottle it this weekend, the sample had a good flavor (1 gallon was a sour mash as well).

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your replies. It's been two weeks now and I just measured the gravity. I'm at 1.024 down from a starting gravity of 1.075. That gives me an apparent attenuation of 67% (and currently an alcohol content of 6.7%). I eventually switched to a brew belt on the carboy and kept it covered and did this for about a week. The sample I pulled smelled and tasted great (although obviously not as dry as I would like). At this point should I consider leaving for another week and taking another gravity measurement? Should I add the 3711 as beergolf suggested?

Thanks,

Craig

I'd go 3711 personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your replies. It's been two weeks now and I just measured the gravity. I'm at 1.024 down from a starting gravity of 1.075. That gives me an apparent attenuation of 67% (and currently an alcohol content of 6.7%). I eventually switched to a brew belt on the carboy and kept it covered and did this for about a week. The sample I pulled smelled and tasted great (although obviously not as dry as I would like). At this point should I consider leaving for another week and taking another gravity measurement? Should I add the 3711 as beergolf suggested?

Thanks,

Craig

Two weeks is not long enough for that yeast. Give it another week or two with the heat on. If by then it does not get a lot lower, then go the 3711 route.

With that yeast I always make sure to keep it warm and give it plenty of time, and I always get down to the 1.004-1.006 range. It has great flavor but does have to be treated right.

Back