Quantcast

saison secondary temp

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Reaction score
I know saison need to ferment at high temps, but what about after racking to secondary.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
Also, a saison can be left without a secondary. They are typically unfiltered and haze is expected, as to the style guide.

dontman

Reaction score
True Saisons tend to have a more flatline ferment. Meaning high temp throughout. Think French country cellar in the Summer.

Fact is that Mike is right though, once the primary ferment is over you won't get much ester activity.

Make sure you get that temp high enough soon enough though. I am just christening a Saison and I really struggled to keep that temp up above 75 and the beer is kind non-spicy. You really have to rock that Saison yeast hard to get fruit and spice working.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
True Saisons tend to have a more flatline ferment. Meaning high temp throughout. Think French country cellar in the Summer.
Traditionally, saisons were brewed in cooler months, but could easily stand up to the heat. They would be to drink while it was hot, and could really brighten up with the heat.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
I have a heating pad on low under mine. It keeps the entire thing warm to the touch