Saison recipe with mash questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dubcut

Reaction score
5 gallon recipe: :ban:

2 lb Wheat Malt
1.0 lb Vienna Malt
.25 lb Honey Malt
.125 lb Belgian Special B
3.0 lb English Light Extract
2 lb Honey
.5 oz Perle (8.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.3 oz Hersbrucker (4.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boil1.0 ea White Labs WLP565 Belgian Saison I

I'm planning on mashing at no more than 150. Should I do a protein rest at 122 because it's a little low?

Enough bittering from the perle?

After the saison yeast is said and done, would adding some notty dry it out more with out sacrificing flavor? The yeast I'm using, though tasty, is probably the less of the dry saison yeasts.

Early on it smelled like I some how got a little oxidation. It has started to fade a little with the honey additions, who knows if they're related. I threw a packet of S-05 in for the hell of it, seems like most of the fermentation now has been for the honey. Will start checking gravity in a couple of days.

Finally kegged this bad boy tonight, midterms and finals pretty much took me out of brewing for a month; still got about a week before I can dedicate a day for brewing... anyways... Took a still sip straight from the tap, quite fine, no cardboard taste to speak of. Wonder if added time on the yeast cake helped. This is going to be perfect timing for my family's little christmas eve party (if it lasts that long), light and tasty saison, not wicked dry, real nice. Can't wait to taste a full glass carbed up. This could be on my greatest hits list.

Definitely my best Saison to date. Not that they're the most difficult beer to make. But that's a good thing.

4199099478_278a14678b_m.jpg

4199099562_5e0dd3c53e_m.jpg

Back