Saison Patience.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircusHooker

Reaction score
Tomorrow my saison will be four weeks in the fermentor. I checked last week and I was at 1.016. I'll check again tomorrow....I should have done something with a quicker turn around for my second batch just to get a pipe line going :)

My amber, now at 4.5 weeks in the bottle, tastes excellent. I was going to do the Libertine clone next but I don't think I can wait that long!!!!

My Saison is at 1.010 after 2 weeks. You might have a stuck fermentation which i understand is common with some of the Saison yeast strains.

There is no way 3711 would take 4 weeks. (Assuming you didn't use 2 pounds of crystal :). If you did, it may be done)
If it's one of the Dupont strains (3724, etc) and it didn't stay above 80, it may well have stalled. It really likes 90.

What temp was it at. I forget which one but one of those Saison yeasts is notorious for plowing through most of the fermentation and then completely stalling out if it's not warm enough.

There is no way 3711 would take 4 weeks. (Assuming you didn't use 2 pounds of crystal :). If you did, it may be done)
If it's one of the Dupont strains (3724, etc) and it didn't stay above 80, it may well have stalled. It really likes 90.

Yeah, use that French ****...

I am using 3724. I've read a ton of threads on this strain and it seems to just call for patience as long as the gravity is changing. I'll check again today, if its stuck then ill throw a heading pad under it....I would like to try and get it there without champaign yeast. I've kept it as close to 80 as I could....it has sometimes sat in the upper 70s which might be why its slow. I'm in no rush though. The sample is tasty!

this friday will be six weeks for my saison. i have no idea what the gravity is, haven't opened the bucket yet. i can tell from the airlock that it isn't quite done, i'm guessing it is well below 1.010 at this point though. this definitely isn't the strain if you are in a hurry. i bottled my last one at 1.006 after 4 weeks. it was still showing very moderate activity. i never go much above 80 F

i'd recommend letting it ride and buying another fermenter if you are eager to brew some more.

Back