Saison IPA HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosephJarclay12

Reaction score
My plan is an IPA fermented on top of a saison yeast cake.
Reason being, I have 1# of Cascade and 1# of CTZ so was thinking IPA, but I don't feel like spending 7 bucks on yeast when I have a Saison that is set to be racked the day Im going to brew. Plus its hot out and my ferm chamber is full.

That being said this is what I am thinking

* my efficiency is kind of low and i can't put my finger on it yet, so I'm bumping up the 2-row *

5 gallon batch

Grain
13# pale 2-row (my efficiency is kind of low and i can't put my finger
1# crystal 20
1# Munich

Hops
CTZ -bittering
Cascade- Aroma ( not sure on timings or amounts, input would be appreciated)

and as far as pitching on the yeast cake, I have never done it before. Is it recommend to decant the cake, As in pour off into container leave the trub behind and pitch the part that is in the new container.

any input will be great, I have only been brewing for about 8 months so I do not know Sh*t

I've never done it, but my understanding is just pour the wort on top of the yeast bed as is. Since you're doing an IPA on top of what was previously a Saison, I don't see an issue. Now if you were pouring a Saison on top of the yeast bed of an IPA, that would be a problem because of all the hop residue in the yeast cake. My $.02

What strain of Saison yeast are you youre using?

I would advise against pitching on the whole yeast cake as youre going to severely over pitching. If you plan to rack the previous beer and brew that day, just pour about 1 cup of the yeast slurry into a sanitized mason jar, seal it and clean your fermenter. Then pitching that mason jar into your next beer, it should take off pretty quickly.

The proper way would be to wash/rinse the yeast to remove the dead cells and trub but I think you will get a decent result this way.

One thing I will tell you is that I have repitched a Saison strain (wlp565) using this method and have gotten alot more pepper notes, almost spicy, than I was going for. I brewed a big Saison with tons of Citra late in the boil and now I can barely pick up on the Citra bc its just all pepper, good beer but just not what I wanted.

Also, youre not really making an IPA anymore imo. Youre really making a Saison with American hops, which is the path I love to take with my Saisons, I like the late boil additions of citrusy American hops. Mash low, 148-150 and get it as dry as possible. I would also consider dropping the crystal and maybe replacing it wish wheat, but thats just my personal taste.

I agree with Coff - You won't get the best beer out of pouring on top of a yeast cake because it'll mix with all that old trub. I'd suggest washing it, but people do it all the time with no issues.

Thanks for the input all.

as far as yeast washing goes...im really lazy, but I guess there is no better time to start doing it then right now. Do you guys think that if I wake up tommorrow rack the Saison into 2ndary put some of the cake into a sanitized container added some sterile water that by time I am ready to pitch say 5 to 6 hours later that the trub will settle leaving me pitchable yeast? Worse come to worst i can just cover the carboy and wait for it to settle.

It only ever takes ~20 minutes for the different layers to stratify in my yeast washing experience so thats more than enough time.

Back