Saison Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwaybrewz

Reaction score
Hello all, I am a new brewer with just two brews under my belt. My buddy and I both enjoy farmhouse saisons. I am contemplating brewing a mini mash New Belgium farmhouse saison Belgian.

I have read some posts about this variety of yeast performing better in the 70 to 75 degree range than in the lower 60's that I normally ferment at.

Could any of you who have brewed a saison like the New Bel. Farmhouse give me some tips on fermentation temperature and any other info you think will help? As always, Thank You.

Which yeast strain are you using? I just used wyeast 3726 and started it at normal temps and then ramped it up to the mid 80s. Turned out great!

I started mine at 65 and had vigorous fermentation in 10 hours. After about 5 days fermentation had slowed to one bubble every minute so I started to crank it up 3 degrees a day and finished at 80 degrees. This beer tastes great, maybe too good as it's very drinkable for 8.75% abv.

I've used Wyeast's French Saison, pitching at 68 and heated it up 1-2 degrees per day with a heater and temp controller to 80. Actually don't think the heater kicked on until fermentation slowed a bit. It took off on its own.

I also brewed a golden strong with Wyeast's Biere de Garde strain. I think that's a limited release. I didn't have temp control for that one, but was pitched at 68 and ramped up to 80 in the summer heat in my China apartment at the time. Both turned out great and aged well, further developing along the way.

Listen to the old Jamil show episode on the BN for Saison.

Thanks for the replies. I started the Saison and it is rolling. I don't have temp control yet, but I am going to use a small heater in my brew closet and see what I can do. It cranks up to 85, so I will be gradually ramping up temperatures through the fermentation. Thanks again for your replies.

Latest posts

Back