Saison DuPont... Overrated? Skunky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansBrew

Reaction score
Ok, So im kind of new to the Saison style, I made my first homebrew ever in that style and I've had a few micro Saisons. I picked up a bottle of Saison Dupont, figured I would give the best a try. I popped the cork, and it smelled a little skunky, it had that bitter/soury saison style finish, but definitely a skunky nose. Not Corona or Heine in the hot summer sun skunky, but definitely a skunk whiff. Anyone able to tell me if its just green bottle and bad storage or does the beer actually taste this way? I'm going to toot my own horn, and say that my first homebrew, in the Saison stly was far better than Saison Dupont. I unfortunately only have 3 23oz bottles left...

i've had a little sulfur note in some saisons i've had, but i have definitely experienced the skunk factor in saison dupont... unforunately with that green bottle and the fluorescent lights that usually occupy beer coolers, it's inevitable.

mmmmmmmmm, saison dupont! it's like a freakin' magic trick or something. it hits kinda sour/pale like a german lager or something, then the sweet wheat kick in. absolutely amazing!!!!! i need to go find another one of those.

I'm a huge fan. When its fresh (eg. in Belgium) there are few beers I like better. Aroma is complex and it has an amazing balance of fruit, malt, sour, and sweetness. Perfect beer for summer picnic.

I've experienced a couple bad Dupont's i agree it's age and handling.

I've been drinking on a saison i bottled 2 months ago it's no Dupont but it's' not bad

I've had it a couple of times and each seemed a bit different. I think it's probably age and storage. I've had other saisons with much different flavor altogether.

Ok so taste is really subjective, YES. But there is a particular taste to most Saisons and some wheat beers that I have tasted that I really don't like. I feel like it's probably an intentional taste. My brother compares it to weed that got mildewy. I really can't name the taste. Anyone else get that description?

If you can get your hands on it, I've seen Saison Dupont in small 12 oz brown bottles in a 4 pack. Every 750mL Saison Dupont I've ever bought has been skunked. Thats also why Hennepin has become my go to Saison. Saison Dupont just doesn't seem to travel well.

I've been through plenty of bottles of it for its availability. I really really love saisons, but yes to me its over rated. I think fantome and hennepin are hands down better saisons.

Back