Saflager W34/70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
I know there's been other threads about this yeast, but I thought it deserved another.:eek:

I've been curious about this yeast since it came out and finally had the chance to use it. I have half a verdict on it. I brewed a German Pils with this yeast 2 weeks ago. I racked to secondary today and tasted the beer. It's AWESOME! It tastes exactly like WLP830 that I've tasted in similar beers at racking-to-secondary time... clean malt and hop bitterness with no fruitiness or other off flavors.

The final verdict is still out until I get it in the glass, but so far my lager starter days are over. I've read other homebrewer reviews on this about some fruitiness, etc., but I'm beginning to believe it might not be the yeast. Good temp. control and pitch rate is essential. I started fermentation on this lager at 50°F and kept it there. I pitched 2 rehydrated packs per 5 gallons.

So far I'm VERY happy with it. Now if they could only make WLP023 in a dry strain and I'd be set.;)

That is great news. This is the only dry yeast I haven't used yet so I figured I had to try it out. I got two packs that I am going to use on next weekends brew. I love the idea of dry lager yeast but I have been disappointed every time I have used one so far...hopefully this yeast will succeed where others have failed.

I wouldn't be suprised if those who complained about it being fruity just pitched one pack...or pitched warm or something.

Pitched two re-hydrated packs of this into 48F 1.056 wort and the yeast cake on the bottom grew continuously for the next 36 hours or so and I am just now getting the "foam ring" to form on the top.

I brewed ten gallons of this beer and did half with ale yeast...that beer is pretty much done already and this lager is just getting going. Can't wait to try this beer, high hopes for a dry lager yeast that actually tastes like a lager.

I just racked this German Pils to the serving kegs after 6 weeks of lagering. Holy crap. This yeast is awesome. I'll never use a liquid lager yeast again (well, I guess I should never say never).

It's clean as a whistle. No off-flavors whatsoever. It's all about temperature control... and pitching 2 hydrated packs per ~5 gallons. This is probably my best tasting lager hydro sample ever. Here it is... attenuated to 1.011 (maybe 1.0105) from 1.045 with a Hochkurz-style step mash.

GermanPilsHydro.jpg

My latest lager has only been in the bottle four days but I know It was carbed and I had to taste it. It really has that German taste. My best lager yet! Six days at 50, one at room temp, two weeks at 31 and four days at room temp in the bottle (with T-58.) In a week they will (most) all go back to 31 for a few more weeks. The only other lager yeast I've use was Superior lager--this is better. It's left my mouth watering for another one. :eek:

Latest posts

Back