Saflager W-34/70 Fermentation Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am doing a lager for the first time in a very long time and chose Saflager W-34/70. I have been reading peoples posts about fermenting this in the low to below 50's but the spec sheet says "ideally 12-15°C (53.6-59°F)". I pitched at 60 because it was getting late and I was inpatient but its been fermenting for 2 days at 55 degrees. It's a very slow starter but its building pressure in the fermenter. This is brew is a Marzen/Oktoberfest mashed at 152 and an OG of 1.056. What are you all typically choosing for a fermentation temperature with this yeast?

David

I am doing a lager for the first time in a very long time and chose Saflager W-34/70. I have been reading peoples posts about fermenting this in the low to below 50's but the spec sheet says "ideally 12-15°C (53.6-59°F)". I pitched at 60 because it was getting late and I was inpatient but its been fermenting for 2 days at 55 degrees. It's a very slow starter but its building pressure in the fermenter. This is brew is a Marzen/Oktoberfest mashed at 152 and an OG of 1.056. What are you all typically choosing for a fermentation temperature with this yeast?

David

I've used this yeast quite a bit and typically run 51*F to 52*F. I wouldn't lower your temperature at this stage but it does a fine job at the lower temps.

I'm at 55 degrees and on the third day of fermentation since pitching. Think its worth taking it down maybe 2 or 3 degrees?

David

I'm at 55 degrees and on the third day of fermentation since pitching. Think its worth taking it down maybe 2 or 3 degrees?

David

I wouldn't. You could very well stall it. Any flavors associated with fermentation temperature are already set. Consider a d-rest at 90% attenuation then allow it to continue on the yeast cake up to 21 total days for a good cleanup and you should be fine.

I wouldn't. You could very well stall it. Any flavors associated with fermentation temperature are already set. Consider a d-rest at 90% attenuation then allow it to continue on the yeast cake up to 21 total days for a good cleanup and you should be fine.

You mean a 21 day D-rest or for just a few days and then lager for 21 days?

You mean a 21 day D-rest or for just a few days and then lager for 21 days?

I have allowed my lagers to d-rest by raising the temperature gradually over a few days to 70*f - 72*f and letting them rest there to the 21 day mark from the start of fermentation. Basically a 21 day primary. This gives the yeast time to cleanup after themselves. Then rack to secondary if you are doing one or keg and lager for 6 weeks or more.

I have allowed my lagers to d-rest by raising the temperature gradually over a few days to 70*f - 72*f and letting them rest there to the 21 day mark from the start of fermentation. Basically a 21 day primary. This gives the yeast time to cleanup after themselves. Then rack to secondary if you are doing one or keg and lager for 6 weeks or more.

Thanks

48-50 to 80% attenuation. Free ride to 69 for 3-5 days. Lager.

Typically a couple weeks prior to lagering

Back