Saflager S-189 lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
Just picked this yeast up at the LHBS to use in a Marzen/Oktoberfest lager.

Anyone ever use this for similar brews? Just wondering what to expect and get some tips on its performance. I have never used it before so I have questions. Thats why I come to HBT, to find answers.

Thanks in advance!

I make 12-15 German/Euro lagers a year, and, until a few months ago used 34/70 exclusively. I have access to all the common WLP/WY/Danstar strains, but I simply haven't found a more superior yeast for German lagers than 34/70. My $0.02.

I recently tried S-189 for a Munich Helles and Vienna Lager. Like 34/70, S-189 is:

1) Fairly sulfury in primary (which will fade in lagering)
2) Good in regards to diacetyl, although a d-rest is advisable
3) Best IMO when direct pitched rather than rehydrated or put in a starter, so you'll need 3-4 packs for a 5 gallon batch if you go this route.
4) Seems to prefer 48-52 degrees for primary and 60 degrees for d-rest.
5) Lets malt flavor shine, especially if you decoct.

S-189, in my two batches (compared to 100+ with 34/70) attenuates a bit more and dries out the beer a bit more than 34/70. But you can make adjustments to your mash to account for this.

My Munich Helles, normally fermented with 34/70, had rests at 130/148/154/168 with two decoctions, and it was much drier with S-189 than 34/70. So consider mashing at the slightly higher end of the sacc rest ranges. I would change the S-189 Helles to 130/152/168 the next time and omit the 148 rest. An perhaps do one long single decoction vs two short.

With this knowledge, I tweaked my S-189 Vienna and rested at 130/152/168 with a single decoction between the 152 and 168 rests. It turned out very similar to my 34/70 Viennas mashed with slightly lower rest temps.

To make a short story long, it's a solid yeast for Euro lagers.

I make 12-15 German/Euro lagers a year, and, until a few months ago used 34/70 exclusively. I have access to all the common WLP/WY/Danstar strains, but I simply haven't found a more superior yeast for German lagers than 34/70. My $0.02.

I recently tried S-189 for a Munich Helles and Vienna Lager. Like 34/70, S-189 is:

1) Fairly sulfury in primary (which will fade in lagering)
2) Good in regards to diacetyl, although a d-rest is advisable
3) Best IMO when direct pitched rather than rehydrated or put in a starter, so you'll need 3-4 packs for a 5 gallon batch if you go this route.
4) Seems to prefer 48-52 degrees for primary and 60 degrees for d-rest.
5) Lets malt flavor shine, especially if you decoct.

S-189, in my two batches (compared to 100+ with 34/70) attenuates a bit more and dries out the beer a bit more than 34/70. But you can make adjustments to your mash to account for this.

My Munich Helles, normally fermented with 34/70, had rests at 130/148/154/168 with two decoctions, and it was much drier with S-189 than 34/70. So consider mashing at the slightly higher end of the sacc rest ranges. I would change the S-189 Helles to 130/152/168 the next time and omit the 148 rest. An perhaps do one long single decoction vs two short.

With this knowledge, I tweaked my S-189 Vienna and rested at 130/152/168 with a single decoction between the 152 and 168 rests. It turned out very similar to my 34/70 Viennas mashed with slightly lower rest temps.

To make a short story long, it's a solid yeast for Euro lagers.

Thanks so much! Great info that I can use immediately.

One question... Why would you need 3-4 packs for 5 gallons? We can get more, it just sounds like an overpitch but again I have never used this yeast before so I will certainly follow this advice.

You really should have 300-400 Billion cells in a 5-6 gallon lager in the 5% abv neighborhood. Minimizes yeast-related stress and resulting off flavors with slow starting lager yeasts. Keeps the lag time to 12 hrs or so, especially if you pitch at 48-50 with well oxygenated wort. All this results in a better lager.

2 dry yeast packs in a well oxygenated 1.5L starter should get you within range. With 34/70 dry yeast, I usually fire up the starter 12-16 hrs ahead of time, store it at 50deg, and pitch the whole starter when it is actively fermenting and the batch is ready for it.

I just brewed a Maibock last week (yes, I know, I'm late, I don't care). I used the S-189 at the recommendation of my LHBS. Well, they didn't recommend it specifically for a Maibock, but they were curious to see how it turned out since they'd never used S-189 before.

It's currently still in primary. I don't have an advanced setup, but I do have a deep subterranean basement that hangs out consistently in the 58 degree range all year long. At least I know I won't have temperature fluctuations. I did a starter about 36 hours prior to brewing, and pitched at a temp probably higher than I should have. However, it's been a week at 58 degrees and it's still maintaining a nice, slow, steady fermentation.

I plan to do a d-rest at the end of next week at around 65-70, then rack to a carboy and lager in the garage fridge at around 36-38 for at least four weeks. The recipe I used was pretty hoppy, so it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

My brother used 189 in his marzen and another lady used 34/70 in a mexican lager (dos equis clone). The 189 isnt nearly as vigorous as the 34/70 at six days of fermentation when checked Friday.

My OG on my Marzen was 1.073, when Gravity was checked again 21 days later, it read 1.030 (a tad disappointing). only 1 packet was pitched. could i / should i pitch another packet of S-189?

I just brewed a Maibock last week (yes, I know, I'm late, I don't care). I used the S-189 at the recommendation of my LHBS. Well, they didn't recommend it specifically for a Maibock, but they were curious to see how it turned out since they'd never used S-189 before.

It's currently still in primary. I don't have an advanced setup, but I do have a deep subterranean basement that hangs out consistently in the 58 degree range all year long. At least I know I won't have temperature fluctuations. I did a starter about 36 hours prior to brewing, and pitched at a temp probably higher than I should have. However, it's been a week at 58 degrees and it's still maintaining a nice, slow, steady fermentation.

I plan to do a d-rest at the end of next week at around 65-70, then rack to a carboy and lager in the garage fridge at around 36-38 for at least four weeks. The recipe I used was pretty hoppy, so it will be interesting to see how that turns out.
So, how did it turn out? I did an Oktoberfest using Imperial L02 Fest, and it was phenomenal. I'd like to try the S-189 in a Bock or another Oktoberfest (yes, I know, the season's gone, but so what?) Ed
:mug:

Back