SafLager 34/70 or Wyeast California Lager Yeast for Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambled

Reaction score
So I am brewing an Oktoberfest and trying to decide between these two yeasts. I usually prefer the ease and convenience of dry yeast. My basement is 62 right now and I could probably keep fermentation temps in the high 50s pretty easily with swamp cooler setup, so could use the Saflager. On the other hand, with Cali Lager yeast, I would not have to worry with a swamp cooler setup, but I would have to make a starter. I would like to try and really do a lager sometime, but I also might like to have this beer ready in 4-6 weeks.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

From personal experience, it'll definitely be "better" and closer to style using a lager yeast, but I've done the same, using BierMuncher's recipe as a place to start, using US-04 as he mentioned and had good results: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/biermunchers-oktoberfast-ale-ag-39021/

But definitely, my best "lager" styles have only come from actual lager yeasts and proper temperature control, etc. Always worth the wait though, cheers!

Back