Safe to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBrew

Reaction score
I'm .002 at the most away from my target FG. Should be 1.014 and i'm at 1.015/6. Normally i'd wait but i'm not going to get anothet chance to bottle for about a month so is it safe to bottle now, or could they explode?

leave it for another month. It won't hurt the beer to go that much longer, not nearly as much as exploding bottles would.

Personally, as long as it's been a reasonable amount of time I'd have no issue bottling if it's that close. Best practice would be to make sure that gravity is stable a few days apart. Up to you, YRMV.

Thanks to both. To be fair, there are a few foamy looking bubbles on the surface of the wort. May indicate some residual fermentation taking place?

Not necessarily. The only way to tell would be to do another gravity check a couple days after the previous.

How long has it been fermenting?

Three weeks in total. The fermentation stuck halfway (1.020) and I pitched more yeast. It got going again but took a while. Target FG is 1.14.

Whats your thoughts?

It was two weeks in total. Still too soon? I used the same yeast, surely it cant do any harm?

Yeast don't have calendars and dates, they do it their way.
Not sure about harm , but not necessary.
So many other factors, like temperature, airation, OG , mash temps and on. I would have just warmed it up a few degrees and waited several weeks after you thought it had stopped.

Back