Safe hydrometer readings off of a bucket fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtonbp

Reaction score
How do you guys take hydrometer readings from a bucket fermenter without contaminating the beer/exposing it to air for too long?

Also, how many times do you take those readings?

With simple sanitization practices openning the fermenter to take a reading is perfectly safe. You won't spoil your beer.

This is what I use, and it works with both buckets and carboys.

I replaced the plastic one a year ago with an extra long stainless baster from a kitchen ware store and it is awesome. But the plastic one from any grocery store works fine.

turkeybastera.jpg

And

75862_451283689066_620469066_5427695_1841038_n.jpg

Here's what I do....

1) With a spray bottle filled with starsan I spray the lid of my bucket, or the mouth of the carboy, including the bung. Then I spray my turkey baster inside and out with sanitize (or dunking it in a container of sanitizer).

2) Open fermenter.

3) Draw Sample

4) fill sample jar (usualy 2-3 turky baster draws

5)Spray bung or lid with sanitizer again

6) Close lid or bung

6) add hydrometer and take reading

It is less than 30 seconds from the time the lid is removed until it is closed again. More like 15 if you ask me.

Probably less if you have help. And unless a bird flies in your place and lets go with some poop, you should be okay.

ANd then you drink the sample....don't pour it back in....

In homebrewing there is so much that we advise folks not to do, yet the one thing that EVERY book, podcast, magazine and website talks about is gravity readings....

How do you think we get them?

Do you think the advice to take them is a vast conspiracy by us old timers to ruin millions of new brewer's batches, so that they flee the hobby and give it a bad rap? Or so they make crappy beer and we kick your asses in contests? ;)

As to how many times, the answer is "It depends." If you're worried that something is wrong, like you're not sure if the yeast has taken off, then I recommend taking one after 72 hours to see what's going on.

Other wise it really depends on what you're doing. If you don't secondary and opt for a month long primary instead, then readings aren't that crucial. For 99% of my beers I take 2 readings, one on brew day before yeast pitch, and one on bottling day.

If you use a secondary it's a good idea to take a couple to determine if fermentation is complete before racking. I recommend folks take 1 on day 12 and another on day 14, if the numbers are the same fermentation is more than likely complete, and you can go ahead and rack.

When I brew all grain, I take a lot of pre and post boil grav readings, and I use a refractometer instead of a hydrometer to take them, because I use less wort with the refractomter and I don't have to wait for my hydro sample to cool. So I may take a bunch of them on brew day.

You don't have to go crazy taking readings BUT if you have concerns about the beer, then the only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in.

Just remember to sanitize and you'll be fine.

Hope this helps. :mug:

Considering that for hundreds of years, beer was fermented in open containers, opening your bucket for a minute while you grab a sample isn't likely to contaminate it if you are careful. Do follow Revvy's advice about sanitation.

That's why all our fermenters & bottling bucket have spigots. Just spray a little star-san up into the spout & take the sample. Way easier,& safe since the spigots are always cleaned & sanitized before re-installing. Then sanitize the fermenter with the spigot in place. When it's time to pour the wort in,shake it around one more time for a minute,then let sanitizer drain back into the jug through the spigot for a little added insurance.

Wow thanks guys. Another great post from Revvy. The fermenter I am using is bucket style. Has anybody had issues with doing the whole brewing process in one of these (I.E. just primary?) I did a cider in one and it got infected. I'm really not sure at which point.

I guess if I just spray everything with starsan before I open it and close it, it should be okay

All of ours are buckets,never a problem. Just clean them with PBW & a soft cloth so as not to scratch them on the inside. & remove/clean/sanitize the spigot,seal,lock lug,& mounting hole as well. Easy place for nasties to hide if you don't. I notice smells from previous brew till I clean that area thoroughly.

I do the majority of fermenting in buckets with primary times of 2-5 weeks with no issues.

FWIW, I do not have a spigot on my bucket fermenters - only on my bottling bucket. You probably could clean and sanitize a spigot from a fermenter well enough (as per uniondr) but I'd be too paranoid about not getting it clean enough after sitting batch after batch on the the yeast cake/sediment. I've also heard several people suggest that leaks can occur with bottling buckets just by virtue of limitations of the spigot design. Sounds like some people have not had this issue but I'm just putting it out there.

I would think that the spigot would cause some inward pressure on the airlock, causing the airlock liquid to fall into the brew. Taking the airlock out of those (without breaking it) and taking the lid off is pretty difficult.

It isn't rocket science:

a) Sanitize a mug.
b) Clean your hands well.
c) Take the lid off.
d) Dunk the mug and take your sample.
e) Close the lid.

Altough I haven't done one if a while, true open fermentations (as in, no lid on the bucket) are possible, even on a home brew scale, so you're fretting over nothing.

I usually take 2-3 readings in a beer's life. One if I'm top-cropping to check for attenuation midway through and two when fermentation is finished to insure FG is reached before packaging time.

I've noticed that spigots only leak if over-tightened. The seals get squished out of place if they're tightened too far. And I use aquarium lift tube cleaning brushes for spigot cleaning after a soak in PBW. Then my dobie for cleaning the soaked seals. paper towel or soft cloth...maybe a brush dipped in PBW for the mounting hole. I do this for every single ferment.
Always clean & sanitize everything for every brew. Works for me every time.

Cider's cool,but beer has more complexity & doesn't take as long. My sparkling applejack takes over a year from start to finish. Comes out much like an Asti,but too long for me. Ales are so much more rewarding at this point. So I feel ya there,man.

Another option is a satellite fermenter if you want to take multiple readings and not worry about "wasted" beer or infection.

(I put wasted in quotes because some feel that multiple samples waste beer while others argue that it's a valuable part of the process. Fodder for another thread...)

Anyway, sanitize as stated multiple times and pull your sample into the hydromoter tube. Measure and note the gravity.

Then, I pour that sample into a sanitized 12 oz bottle and stuff a napkin/paper towel in the neck like a Molotov Cocktail and set it beside the fermenter. I can use that sample to re-check gravity a few days later (or multiple times if need be) to see how it's going without having to re-open the bucket.

Over the past 2 years I've done this with almost every batch, and spot checked about 1/2 a dozen samples from the satellite against a fresh sample from the primary fermenter and have gotten the exact same reading on both. I'm confident now that there's no need to continue the sanity check and just use the readings from my satellite fermenters.

FWIW, I should note that I don't rack to a secondary and I pull the first sample at anywhere between 7-12 days depending on what I brewed (and when I feel like checking).

Another option is a satellite fermenter if you want to take multiple readings and not worry about "wasted" beer or infection.

That "satellite fermenter" idea will only tell you WHAT YOUR BEER WILL FINISH AT, NOT when your 5 gallon batch of beer will be done.

It's used to measure attenuation of the yeast, not rate of fermentation.

It will take yeast a lot less time to chew through 12 ounces of wort than it will 5 gallons.....so don't trust that silly thing that someone came up with because they are too afraid to take samples from their beer as being accurate.

If you do take that as "gospel" you more than likely are rushing your beer off the yeast way to soon. You know "bottle Bombs" or suddenly posting an "is my beer in secondary ruined?" thread because now that you moved it to secondary because the "satellite" said it was done, you now have this scary looking growth that you have never seen in your bucket (because the lid is one) that suddenly grew on top of your wort and is ugly as sin....which we of course will tell you to rdwhahb because that is just krausen and it formed because you racked too soon and the yeast is still trying to work to make beer for you.

The idea came from commercial breweries, but you have to realize when they are using in it a 3 or 7 or 10bbl fermentaion setup, that their sattelite looks like this.

PB021295.JPG

And they are drawing off hydro sample out of that bucket just like we do.

And they are STILL going to be taking readings and tasting the REAL beer in the ACTUAL FERMENTER, before making any determination.

It's been adopted by some home brewers, and unfortunately gets perpetuated by people (mostly noobs scared of taking real hydro readings) but it's about as accurate as airlock bubbling, (and you know where I count that in terms of fermentation gauges- slightly below the astrological calender :D)

Please don't fear taking a real hydro sample of your beer, don't ever go by a satellite grav reading.....Or an airlock....

Just take your grav reading and be done with it. And drink your samples.

Sorry but I have to disagree. I'm not a noob, the method isn't silly nor am I doing it because I am afraid of drawing a "real" sample. I do it for the ease of checking, the minimization of the risk for infection/contamination and because over 2 years of brewing it's been spot on every time I've compared it to a fresh sample.

Granted, I do a lot of 2.5 gallon batches (i'm the only drinker in the house) so every 4 ounce sample is precious to me, so I don't want to waste a full bottle on pulling three samples.

Given the timing that I use, there's no fear of bottle bombs given that I'm brewing things typically in the 1.060 or lower range and let them go a minimum of 2 weeks and usually 3 weeks in primary before bottling.

While this method may not be your choice, I don;t think its accurate to say that its not a valid method to use - especially if you aren't talking about rushed timelines.

Call me crazy, but I just open the bucket, spin my hydrometer that's been sitting in easy clean IN THE BUCKET, and take note of the reading...then withdraw my hydrometer (and then rack to keg at this point).

Nope, not crazy in my book. I wouldn't do it myself for fear of risking infecting the whole batch but to each thier own.

Why anymore risky (as far as infection goes) than sticking a turkey baster in it? (one which would ideally be harder to get clean/sanitized on the inside?)

i use buckets all the time and have never had an issue of contamination. just Be sanitary and you will be fine. it doesn't matter what your set up is if your not sanitary.

Why anymore risky (as far as infection goes) than sticking a turkey baster in it? (one which would ideally be harder to get clean/sanitized on the inside?)

i used a turkey baster for years brewing and never have i had an infection. Its just how sanitary you are, obviously i wouldn't use that turkey baster for my thanksgiving turkey lol. also make sure after you use it to clean it immediately! otherwise i would have to agree with this quote, if you let stuff build up it will become very hard to clean.

Revvy pointed out how to do it with an illustration and our young friend got a good answer, that gives him more ideas. I like revvy second post that shows the spigot turn sideways on the bucket. I use the spigot to take samples; fill your hydrometer tube squirt sanitizing solution into the spigot and seal the spigot with a short piece of 3/8 ID siphon tube plugged on one end ,with a shot of sanitizing solution in the tube. All set for next time. I only peek inside before bottling. Cheers;)

None actually. Not sure what I was thinking when I was posting that comment now that I look back!

I know...but what I am saying is how is dropping my "sanitized" hydrometer in my fermenter to test risk infection anymore than putting a "sanitized" turkey baster in it? (I put "sanitized" in quotes as I use easy clean, not a true sanitizer)

I know...but what I am saying is how is dropping my "sanitized" hydrometer in my fermenter to test risk infection anymore than putting a "sanitized" turkey baster in it? (I put "sanitized" in quotes as I use easy clean, not a true sanitizer)

No difference that I can think of. The only issue with dropping it in is trying to read the meniscus accurately looking into a bucket, especially with krausen remains in there. Since the surface of a beer is rarely clean I think there's be a lot of yeastclumps making it difficult to see, especially those of us who need cheaters or glasses to read details.

If I use the tap on my bucket fermenter, can I fill the test glass without taking the airlock off, or will it suck the airlock liquid in as the pressure decreases in the fermenter? I am thinking there may be sanitation issues using the tap.

I wear tri-focals at this point,& I still have trouble reading those lil numbers on the hydrometer. Me thinks it's time for a new script. Anyway,I just use the tube it comes in for the reading,works fine. Not to mention,it's easier to drink the sample from...;) I spray a little star-san up into the spout before filling the hydrometer tube.

No the little gas in the bucket pushes it out. If you have to; just loosen the air lock and burp the bucket. Sanitize and done. Cheers;)

I usually keep a bucket of starsan solution kicking around the house. When I want to take a gravity sample, I dunk my wine thief into the solution, making sure the whole thing (or as close to it (is submerged), and I just keep my hydrometer floating in the solution so it's ready to go whenever I need it. I haven't had any problems doing that so far.

Good to know BOBrob.

kealia, I use rum in the airlock because i have a bottle of cheap rum haha. I could easily put starsan in there.

Thisgoestoeleven, that's a good idea.

Back